A Rude awaking

(Tw... talk of abuse)

Layla's Pov~

My alarm goes off. Already it feels like I just went to bed. I had the best dream last night, I died... but but not like that. Beetlejuice killed me and we got to go see Emily, and my grandmother! That sounds like a nightmare but for me it was the best dream ever. I turn over and slap my alarm to see Beetlejuice floating. Hmm, so that's how demons sleep. He falls slamming into the mattress on the ground making a loud crashing noise. 

"Well good morning to you." He turns around and flicks me off.

"Wow, great way to treat a lady!" I yell back at him. 

"Honey, you alright." I hear Barbara in front of my bedroom door. I place my finger on Beetlejuice's mouth, he licks my finger. Yuck oh my gosh he is so gross I wipe my finger on his t-shirt and whisper "Gross."

"Uh, I'm alright. My alarm just frightened me."

"Breakfast is done, so come down and eat. Your mother took your step father to the doctor. Layla you gotta catch the bus in 30 minutes so hurry."

"What? Why can't Kayla drive me!?" I was not about to take the bus to school. 

"Jim grounded her from the car last night. He came home drunk, but your mother thought the punishment fit Kayla's actions." When Barbara said he came home drunk she sounded a bit scared. Did he hurt my mom? He's only hit her once, it didn't end well... for any of my family.

"Uh, is my mom alright!?" If he put a hand on my mother, I could ask Beetlejuice to hurt him. It would be easy right?

"She seemed fine, but you know your mother is good at hiding things. Get dressed please." I peek through the crack in my door to see if she was gone. I bring my attention to where Beetlejuice fell but he wasn't there. I spotted him on the balcony, I sat next to him and lay my head on his shoulder. 

"What ya thinkin' about?" I ask him.

"Has your step-dad ever hurt you?" I could hear the worry in his voice. Why did he care so much about me? We just met. I'm not even that great. I hesitate to answer.

"Uh... just once... I'm fine now." I never told anyone about the time Jim yelled at me for my grades and dragged me down the stairs of our old house by my hair. I didn't care because I didn't feel much pain then. This was after Emily died, so I had no one to tell. It was just me and him alone in the house and I didn't think it was important... until he hit my mom out of no where. I don't know how she could stay with a man like him. 

"If he lays another hand on you or your family he will never be able to walk again." Beetlejuice's hair started turning red, I could tell he was very mad. And cared about my family a whole lot. 

"What are you gonna do fuck him?" I giggled, but Beetlejuice just looked at me. I could tell he wasn't joking. It kinda scared me, what could he do to my step-father? 

"You should get ready Layla." Did he just call me by my name? He hasn't ever done that. Sure it's only been one night I've known him but he has always used nicknames. He truly is mad, but not at me right? I get up and look through my closet. My mom is sending me to a public school because she knows a private all girl school would end in me bringing many girls home, and not just to hang out. There wasn't anything I wanted to wear so I went in my suitcase, that I have yet to unpack and wasn't gonna do for a while. 

"Can I come in?" Beetlejuice was still out on the balcony.

"Unless you wanna see me naked! No!" I shout in a playful voice.

"I mean-" I could hear the shift in his voice go from angry to matching my playful tone.

"You dirty little devil." I put on leggings and Emily's hoodie.