iv.

"ARE YOU CRYING, Jay?" Celine asks, looking baffled as she stares at the curly head

"He does look like he is about to," David mutters, a sly smile on his lips.

"I'm not crying!" Jay groans, rolling his eyes at his friends.

"Lou, you made him cry." Alex laughs, pointing at Jay's flushed cheeks.

"I told you I'm not crying!" Jay groans, resting his head on the table.

"I just complimented his handwriting. What's there to cry about?" Lou frowns, arching her eyebrow at Jay who was gawking at her with his mouth wide open.

Jay frowns, "I'm not cryi—."

"Compliment?" David scoffs, "You call that a compliment?"

"You said that his handwriting looks like as if a spider crawled on that page." Alex laughs, warm laughter booming from his chest as he points at Jay's page.

"It was meant to be a compliment..." Lou mumbles, resting back on her chair. No matter what she said, her words always came out like poison. People always told her that her tongue was the most poisonous thing about her and she couldn't deny it.

"Well, try complimenting him, again." Alex chuckles, patting her back and she narrows her eyes at him. She notices Jay looking up at her with hopeful eyes, puppy eyes almost.

Even she couldn't deny that he was cute at times.

But he was still stupid.

She stares at his handwriting again, thinking of a compliment so she could make him smile.

"Well..." Lou starts, narrowing her eyes at his handwriting.

"It's better than some kindergarteners' handwriting," she says honestly, a small, amused smile growing on her lips while her friends start to laugh at her comment.

Alex lets out a loud laugh, "That's the best you can get out of her," he smiles at Lou while she rolls her eyes at him.

"The only person she can compliment is Celine." David scoffs, shaking his head at Lou.

Lou stares at David, tilting her head a little before smiling at him and moving her face closer to him.

"You seem jealous. Do you want me to compliment you too, Davie? Just say the word," she purrs, patting his curly head with a cocky smile on her lips.

Before David can answer, she is pulled back to her original position. Strong arms wrapped around her shoulder and waist, Alex was staring at her, the hint of mischief gone from his stormy eyes.

"What's up with you?" Lou frowns, furrowing her eyebrows at the boy.

"Why don't you compliment me first?" He asks, almost sounding like a demand. Alex stares into her eyes, his arms still wrapped around her. She looks back into his eyes, moving her hands towards his arms to remove them off her.