Chapter 22 - Enough

Rhys pauses for a moment.

        —He has to think first? I'm literally being held at knifepoint, hello???

        "I won't let you hurt Cole," Rhys spoke sternly as he aims a gun towards the captor. Did he have a gun this whole time?!

        Then suddenly — bang! — Rhys pulled the trigger as the bullet luckily lands over my shoulder, into the captor's arm. But unluckily, my ears rang and I fall onto the ground as the captor releases me from their grasp.

        Alexander quickly rushes to me and pulled me away from the captor to ensure my safety.

        I hear Rhys and the captor exchanging words but I couldn't quite figure it out as my ears were ringing and I sink onto the ground in pain.

        "You'll regret this, Rhys." The captor spoke in a panting voice. "He will reign."

        Then, footsteps echoed as it slowly disappeared.

        "Are you alright?" Rhys rushed beside me and put his hand on my back in an attempt to comfort me. It definitely did not work.

        I slowly regained my hearing and responded. "I'm fine."

        "I was going to escort you out of the building but I wasn't sure and I've put you in danger, I'm sorry," Rhys spoke.

        "Whatever," I pouted and shook off his hand from my back. Am I... angry? Why? It's frustrating. "Who was that anyway? It was obvious you knew him."

        "An old friend of Feo's," he answered.

        "So? I'm asking for a name and why he was after me." I demanded.

        Rhys pauses.

        "C'mon let's go back to the mansion." Rhys reached out his hand in an attempt to pull me up but I slapped it away.

        "Why the secrets? I thought we were friends." I glared.

        "It's for your own good." He answered.

        "My own good? C'mon Rhys I thought you could come up with a better excuse. How am I supposed to know what or who to avoid if I don't know their name?" I continued to glare.

        "Cole, listen to me." Rhys grabs my wrist tightly.

        "I'M TIRED OF SECRETS!" I shouted as tears burst out of my eyes. "I had to endure being an orphan at a young age and deal with my own brother going missing! I'm only fifteen and now my life is in danger, what's more to come?!"

        The room goes silent for a moment until I spoke again.

        "I'm done. I'm going back. I don't care anymore, I just want to go back." I stated harshly as I shake away Rhys's hand from my wrist before running away.

        As I got out of the cemetery, I ran. I ran and I ran. No matter where it'll take me. I don't want to deal with this anymore.

        I closed my eyes as I ran but suddenly — bonk — and I fall onto the ground on my behind.

        As I open my eyes, a hand had been reached out to me.

        "Are you alright?" It spoke.

        As I regain my focus, I realize I ran face-first onto a lamppost.

        I subconsciously held onto the hand and stood up.

        "Cole? What are you doing here?" A voice asked.

        After I finally caught my breath, I face the voice that had helped me.

        "Xue?" I gasped in surprise.

        "We meet again, Cole." He smiles. "Are you hurt?"

        "My nose is probably broken but I'm alright, what brings you here? Let alone being... drenched? In what, freshwater?" I asked.

        "Ah, I slipped at a nearby lake." He chuckles at himself. "Where were you running off to? And were you... crying? Guess we're both drenched in a way."

        "I was... going home!" I answered.

        "Don't you live with Lev? His mansion is on the other way, don't you think?" He asked.

        Silence filled the empty streets as we stand underneath the light of the lamppost.

        "Oohhh, you had a fight with Lev and you didn't know where to go did you?" He assumed and I nod in agreement to disagree.

        "I was actually going to Flavio's place, do you want to come with me?" He invited.

        "Is that okay?" I asked.

        "Of course! Flavio is a very welcoming person, he would be happy to have guests over!" He replied. "Let's go now."

        We held arms in arms as we walked side by side towards Flavio's house.

====================

POV: Lev Durand

"What a hectic night, huh?" The Manager spoke as he put his hand over my shoulder. "Sorry for making you work this late, prince."

       "Don't worry about it, as long you don't say a word of me down here, I'll gladly work with you, Sir." I replied.

       "You're really hard working for someone royal, I appreciate you for working with us down in the depths of a place like this." The Manager smiled.

        "Glad I could be of help, Sir," I responded. "I should get going now, you can save the pay for my next shift,"

        "Alright, son," The Manager replied. "Stay safe, It's already bright up there, don't forget your coat or people could see you,"

       "Thank you for the reminder, see you next time," I thanked as I step out of the door and ascend towards the streets.

        I quickly pulled out my phone to check the time as I walked by the sidewalk.

8:55 AM.

        I'm definitely 'late' late, huh.

        "Why did I park all the way at the old lot again?" I complained as I walked along the sidewalk, towards my car.

        I've let down my guard.

        Before I could catch my breath, a man had stabbed me as he passed by and I fall onto the ground while he walked away. A random stabbing? Who does that?!

        I shriveled in pain on the concrete ground and wrapped my arms on the wound.

        I can't die here! Who knows what the street thugs would do with my corpse!

        And with the strength I had left, I crawled inside a nearby alley and texted Cole with what I had left on my shattered phone.

        As the text was sent, all I could do was hope.