Chapter 9 - The Second Day

Lev breathes heavily as his eyes looked like it was about to produce tears and continues to bring me to the dining table for us to eat dinner together as he promised. The table was quite big for a table with only three chairs, the two chairs being on the opposite ends of each other.

Lev sits down at a smaller chair at the other end of the table and offers me the seat next to him. I assume the larger chair at the opposite end is reserved for his father.

"Cole, I'm sorry about my father," Lev spoke, staring onto his plate as he pokes his food with a spoon.

"There's nothing to be sorry about, Lev," I spoke, hoping to cheer him up.

"You might notice that he mentioned Lucius." Lev changes the subject and his face saddens as he stopped poking the food.

"Lucius and I knew each other ever since I was a kid, he was only two years older than me, and yet he was always well-mannered, smart and my whole family loved him. My relatives would always be angry every time I did something wrong, but not with Lucius." His eyes glistened as if tears were about to come out of his golden eyes.

"My father was always harsh on me every time I achieved anything and always wished that Lucius was his son. Since then, I gave up trying." A tear slides down his cheek as he looks up to the ceiling, trying to hold back any more tears.

"I started to rebel and followed my love for fashion. My father didn't respond well to it but I didn't care anymore." His voice slightly shakes as he still tries to hold back his tears.

"I'm sorry if that changes how you perceive me, I understand if you want to start rumors at school about me. I just felt the urge to tell to you." He finally faces me with a saddened expression, wiping his tears.

"Lev, I would never do that, especially to you. You were very kind and I think you haven't realized what you have provided me, I am very grateful to have met you, Lev... We should eat now, you must be hungry." I smile as I lightly place my hand on top of his.

Lev nods as he finally puts food into his mouth. Tears run down his puffed cheeks filled with food.

I picked up my spoon and started eating.

The next day, after staying over at Lev's, we go back to school in his usual black car.

"You can find me there if you need me." Lev points over to the building across mine.

"Sorry about what happened last night, it was embarrassing. I hope you forget about it soon." Lev chuckles.

"Well, see you after school," Lev spoke as his lips form a sad smile.

I nod and we both enter our own buildings.

As I walk to class, I see Rey speaking to another student at the entrance. Soon enough, Rey spots me and waves me towards him.

"Cole, this is my brother. Brother, this is Cole, the one I talked to you about yesterday!" Rey smiles excitedly as he introduces us to each other.

"Rey told me that your last name was Celestin, is that right?" Rey's brother spoke, his voice sinks lower than Rey's.

"That's right..." I answered nervously.

"He also told me that you're a Dingo." He spoke, the conversation felt more like an interrogation.

"I am..." I nodded.

Rey's brother eyes me suspiciously before walking away, not saying another word.

"Oh, don't mind him. He's not much of a talker but he wasn't like this before, trust me. I guess he'll open up more once you get to know him." Rey smiles.

I glance over the disappearing figure of Rey's brother before entering the classroom together with Rey.

Hours pass and it's already the end of the day, I wave goodbye to Rey and exit the building.

As I step out of the building, I see Flavio leaning onto a wall, surrounded by his friends.

"Cole!" Flavio runs to me as soon as he spots me stepping out of the building.

"So... How's the second day of school?" He throws his arm over my shoulder.

Second? Maybe he didn't know where I had to go yesterday. I thought and shrugged.

"It's alright," I answered.

"Alright? This is the top best school all over the maugen world and you say 'It's alright?'" surprised, Flavio jokingly nudges my shoulder.

"I haven't seen Xue lately, do you know where he is?" I asked.

"Oh, Xue? H-He uhm..." Flavio struggles to answer.

I eye him curiously. If he doesn't know, why didn't he just say that he doesn't know?

"Oh! He just has extra classes, so he rarely goes out of his classroom!" Flavio finally answers after ten solid seconds.

"Okay..?" I  confusedly nod.

"Say, since tomorrow's a weekend, do you want to hang out with me? I know a place." Flavio offers as he smiles kindly.

As Flavio takes my hand, I hear a shout from a distance behind me.

"Where do you think you're taking him?!"

Flavio and I simultaneously look behind us and see Lev speed walking towards us.

"To a café to relax and you are not invited, rich boy." Flavio sticks his tongue out to Lev.

"Who are you calling rich boy!?" Lev shouts, irritated.

As Lev's spirit returned, I couldn't help but smile in relief after what happened last night.

Before I could separate them, the two had already gone head to head with each other until an odd figure came behind them.

"Flavio, Lev." It spoke calmingly.

"Xue!" Flavio turns to the figure.

"You're causing a scene." Xue jerks his head towards the crowd whispering around them.

Immediately, they both separate themselves from each other and Xue pats them both on their shoulder.

"Let's all go to the café. You too, Cole." He smiles and nudges both Lev and Flavio to walk.

We all walk together to the café Flavio mentioned but I can't help but stare at Xue suspiciously, his aura seemed different than when we first came here. There must be something going on.