"The rest of our lives?"

"Yes! Got a problem with that?!" She frowned, glaring at Yuki.

"No. I'd like to have a buddy for the rest of my life." Yuki smiled now helping her move the pile of dirt into the hole again.

"Good! I wasn't gonna give you an option anyways!" she smugly stated, dusting off her hands.

-.-.-

The thing Yuki looked forward to the most was going to school.

This foster family weren't too strict on him, so long as he got the chores done on time. He even dared begin to make his own lunches. The mother having caught him once but she didn't particularly care so long as he cleaned up after himself.

He was grateful for that.

Where he didn't get attention and affection from the family he got from Mai. Who, in his opinion, had far too much to give.

She would at times cling onto him. Force him to carry her between her dramatics. Use him as a pillow to take an afternoon nap before heading home. And even as a stepping stool to reach higher up in the trees to look for more bugs.

For Mai's birthday he'd even dared to ask his foster parents to buy a certain type of fruit snacks. Not just any, but a certain type of fruit snacks. It was one that came with a surprise toy inside Mai had been on a mission to get but had to wait for the box to finish before her mom went to buy more.

He didn't get the special limited edition toy of the hero she wanted. But still gifted her three fruit snacks and the toy.

There were also days she wouldn't go to school. Mai never told him why but on those days he made sure to stay within a teachers sight during break or he'd get picked on.

Not that he thought the teachers would actually do anything.

-.-.-

"Mai?! Where have you been? You've been skipping school a lot lately..." Yuki's cheerful voice faded as soon as his friend turned to face him.

Her cheek had a dark bruise. There were messy bandages wrapped around her arms and on her left leg. Eyes puffy and red.

"Yuki! Have you really missed me that much?" her smile forced.

"W-What happened..." Yuki whispered slowly walking to her.

"What do you mean? Look! I found a really cool beatle while I was waiting for yo--AH!" Her ankle looked swollen.

"MAI!" Yuki dropped his school bag and ran to her.

For the first time since they've been friends she looked small.

Smaller than him. Her large presence and confidence are no longer there.

"Mai! Can you stand up? Come, we'll take you hom--"

"NO!" she slapped his hand away.

Yuki froze upon seeing his dear friend tremble.

"I can't go home right now...he's still there..."

Yuki didn't know what to do. Helping her rest against a tree, hidden a bit from plain sight.