I give her a doubtful look and she laughs.

"Just put it on."

As the movie starts, I notice Danielle start to relax as well. She scoots a bit closer to me on the couch and now we are less than a foot apart.

The movie isn't bad. Like Danielle said, the storyline isn't typical. I'm actually kind of intrigued.

A large clap of thunder occurs and again Danielle jumps. But this time right into me. I instinctively reach my left arm out and around her. She responds by cuddling close to me as two more close of thunder shake the condo.

"I'm so sorry," she says once the thunder passes. "I'm such a baby when it comes to weather.

"It's okay," I say, slowly taking my arm back. "I'm sure coming from California doesn't help either."

"Yeah," Danielle laughs. While she is no longer cuddled into me, her body remains close to mine, with our legs just lightly brushing up against each other.

The movie continues and while I'm trying to keep my attention on the screen, I also can't help but think about the beautiful woman practically curled up next to me.

This is the first time I've seen her completely bare faced with no make up, not even her usual eye liner. Her natural hair is pulled into a bun allowing me to better see her face. She's flawless.

"Now you're the one staring," Danielle comments.

"I—" I feel my face go beet red because I know she's right. I tried to not to make it obvious but I definitely got caught.

"Sorry," I finally say. "I was just... admiring you." I don't know where that comes from but it's the truth.

To my relief, Danielle smiles a small smile.

"What exactly were you admiring?" she challenges me.

"I—" I again feel embarrassed. I'm not sure why but I suddenly have butterflies. I don't know whether to go for the truth this time or to lie. I don't want to make her feel uncomfortable.

"You're... I... has anyone ever told you how beautiful you are?" The truth comes out before I can stop it. As soon as the words are out of my mouth, I regret letting them out. I have definitely put myself on the fast track to getting kicked out before the worst of the storm has even hit.

"I'm sorry," I immediately say. "I promise I'm not trying to be weird."

"It's okay!" Danielle smiles from ear to ear. "It's been awhile since someone's told me that, let alone a man. I appreciate it."

"Yeah, of course," I say. I leave it at that for fear of saying something stupid again.

Danielle's POV

As Derek focuses his attention back on the movie, I can't help but feel butterflies in my stomach. I can tell he's a bit embarrassed after getting caught staring but if I'm being honest, I appreciate the attention. It's been so long since I've been around a man, let alone a man as attractive as Derek.

I glance at him again. His shaved head and clean shaven face continue to amaze me. I can see him clearly and he's gorgeous. His electric blue eyes are focused on the movie and I can't help but focus my eyes on him.

For the first time, I'm also noticing his lips. For a white guy, they're not bad. They're full and not hidden by his usual beard.

A clap of thunder pulls me from my imagination and I jump again. Once again, I've jumped into Derek and once again he extends his left arm out and behind me. I instinctively curl into him as the claps of thunders continue and we see lightning bolts flash outside my living room windows.

When the thunder subsidies, Derek starts to take his arm back.

"Wait," I say, stopping him. "Is it weird if we stay like this? I feel safe here."

Derek gives me a small smile. "I don't think it's weird. I'm okay with it if you're okay with it."

I let out a small sign of relief. I'm not sure where my fear of thunder and lightning came from but I've had it ever since I was a little girl. Not just thunder and lightning but any loud sounds make me jump. Having Derek here is nice. I really do feel safe.

"Hey," Derek says softly.

I flutter my eyes open to find what the movie is over. I have my face nuzzled into Derek's chest and he is staring down at me.

"The movie is over," he says.

I look up at the clock and it's after 9pm. We started the movie around 6 and it's less than two hours long.

"How long have I been out?" I ask, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes and lifting my head off Derek's chest.

"Mmm..." Derek looks at the clock as well. "One hour andddd 17 minutes."

"Oh wow," I let out a large yawn. "And you just let me sleep?"

"You looked serene and I didn't want to bother you." Deeek smiles at me and I can't help but smile back. "Plus the thunder got really bad and I figured you were better off asleep than awake through it."

"Well thank you," I say, separating myself from him. I hope he's not creeped out by me literally throwing myself on him. "Sorry for falling asleep on you."

"No worries at all," he says. He takes his arm back and for a second, I wish that this unintentional cuddle session wasn't over.

"I guess I should start getting ready for bed," I say. I stand up and Derek does too.

"You go to bed early," he comments.

"Yeah, cause I usually have to wake up at the butt crack of dawn to get to the bakery. My body is on auto pilot."

"I see," Derek says. "Do you care if I stay up? I'm used to sleeping pretty late to be honest. I'll try to keep it down."

"Oh yeah!" I say. "This is your home for the weekend. Do whatever you'd like. You know how the tv works now. And help yourself to anything in the kitchen."

"Sounds good," Derek says. "Thank you again for everything Danielle."

"Of course. Have a good night."

I head up the stairs and into my room. I think about locking my bedroom door then decide against it. I literally fell asleep in Derek's arms. If he was going to murder me by now, he has had several chances to make that happen.

Instead I throw half the pillows off my bed and crawl under my comforter. It takes me awhile to fall asleep as the thunder is relentless. I finally fall asleep to the thoughts of feeling protected by Derek's cuddles.