CHAPTER 1: The Judgemental Jerk

The weather was warm as the sun shone down on the signage board of the restaurant.

The Carmels

It gained popularity recently after being started back a year and a half.

It took Aeryn a lot of part time jobs, some loan from the bank, and her cloud kitchen to save money for the restaurant. Yet it wasn't enough to buy that place in Houston so, she rented it instead.

It had been difficult in the beginning to pay the rent but somehow she managed but now for the past few weeks since the restaurant became the talk of the town, she was finally at peace for she didn't have to worry for the rent anymore.

Just like any other day, Aeryn tied the black apron around her waist and kicked started her day with the hope that this day will bring in more customers today.

As she turned around the corner to enter the kitchen, she was stopped by her overly excited co worker/friend.

"Guess what?!", she shrieked almost jumping up and down.

Aeryn rolled her eyes at her excitement and brushed past her. "There is a sale going on in any of your favorite stores, Harper?"

"No!" She walked upto Aeryn and held her left hand infront of her eyes.

Aeryn looked at her in confusion as she bit her lips and then down at her hand, actually at the small shiny thing on her ring finger.

"Dave proposed you?!", this time Aeryn shrieked.

"Yes!", Harper exclaimed.

"Oh My God!", Aeryn screamed in happiness and engulfed her in a bone crushing hug.

"I am so happy for you! Congratulations!", Aeryn said as they pulled away.

Harper beamed with happiness. "Thank you!"

"You should have taken today a leave and spent some time with Dave."

"It's okay", Harper said, "After all, we are getting so many customers and you need an extra hand."

Aeryn smiled and they both started preparing the dishes together.

.
.
.

The morning rolled by and soon it was late in the afternoon when the bell at the door chimed indicating the arrival of a new customer.

Aeryn was too busy making the pasta sauce to see her daughter entering.

It was only when she heard her exclaim, she turned her attention to her.

She saw her daughter hugging Harper tightly after she told her about her engagement.

"Carmel", Aeryn said catching everyone's attention. "What are you doing here?"

Carmel walked closer to Aeryn. "It's Sunday, mama. I was getting bored at home so I came here."

Aeryn placed her hands on her hip. "And how did you reach here?"

"By my bicycle", Carmel said nonchalantly.

"By the way" ,Carmel said again, "grandma called...she was asking when are we visiting her. I said that mama is busy these days..."

"Oh...I will talk to her later."

Carmel hummed taking a look at the different dishes being cooked in the kitchen.

"Can I go and take the orders?", Carmel asked hopefully.

Aeryn thought for a moment and nodded.