Hospital

Right after what Guy confessed to me, I relaxed and fell asleep. I don't know how long I slept, but when I woke up the others were still asleep. I couldn't lie down again, all sorts of thoughts were going through my head, who is Cotton really? He seemed like one of them, like he worked for Race Headquarters, and that would mean I would probably get the drug. How's Cody? When will I be able to go home? Will we be watched all the time, even at home? What happened to the rest of the people, maybe they are already home? What's next for me and Guy? At this thought I paused. I turned around to see if he was still asleep. His eyes were closed, he looked so peaceful, like a man who had finally found a rest stop after a lifetime of wandering. I loved him, he loved me, no one could easily change that. Maybe someday we would live together, have three children and lots of animals.
I was pulled out of these beautiful dreams by someone's voice. I didn't even notice when Cotton entered the room. He gestured with his hand for me to come over. I didn't trust him, I didn't feel safe, so I got up as loud as I could, bumping Guy's shoulder. Cotton didn't seem to notice, but I was successful. As I walked to the door our whole team followed me. I think I was even louder than I intended. We entered the room, it had no windows, nothing in it but black walls. It turned out that the black rooms were bug-less, camera-less, while the white rooms, the ones where the race ended, had constant surveillance. We sat down on the ground. After a while Cotton started talking:
- I'd like to tell you my story, explain who I am and how I got into the race. I think that after what you have been through, you deserve it.
- You can't say that.
- I was one of the participants in the race, in the earlier edition to be exact. I was fighting for a cure for my brother Titus. As you can guess, I won. Since then, I have been part of the leadership team. I've made many changes to ensure comfort during subsequent editions.
- Comfort is too small a word, this race was like an all-inclusive vacation.- replied Olivia sliding her eyes down Cotton's
- Nevertheless, I was able to make a few changes. At that time our dad got sick, so I registered Titus as a participant, and we devised a plan of action so that he would win. Everything would have gone according to the plan, if it hadn't been for his wish to follow his own paths, not the established ones. He was not to die, he was not to lose. -he continued with tears in his eyes- I found out that Tella was there. I was so furious that, with the approval of Headquarters, I joined the race on the condition that I would not let you win, any of you. The winner was to be the one with the fewest bets, so that we could make money on it. In truth, my intentions were worse, much worse. Then I met you- he was looking at me when he said that- I couldn't do it. I wanted revenge, but you were too gentle, too kind. - Guy squeezed my hand tighter- I had to keep my deal with my boss somehow, and I caused an avalanche, but seeing Tella standing and waiting for the snow to carry her away I went back for her. I then led the wolves on you, but my pandora turned out to be more loyal than I thought. I tried to live up to my end of the bargain, but I failed. Because of this, I lost my job, and I am going home tomorrow to take care of my family.
- Nice talk, but why do they summarize their lives, we don't care.- chuckled Guy
- Believe me, we do. First, Braun will be joining you as soon as we get out of here. I would have brought him in a long time ago, but I couldn't reveal myself. I still can't, which is why I believe you won't show your knowledge of me. Secondly since I can't get the medicine then Harper gets it.
There was silence. My friend and I exchanged glances, and then she smiled.
- We won't tell anyone about what you told us, but that doesn't mean we forgive you.
We got up and went back to the hall. After a while a slim blonde dressed in a red suit came to us. She brought Braun and asked us to go with her.