The Frozen Court pt. 3

Start from the beginning

This wasn't a hoax. This really was the solution Michaela had conceived to make sure she could get the testimony she needed. She really had decided that the best thing they could do was just to bring the entire bed up the hill and into the courtroom.

How in the world had they carried it all the way up the slope without this man slipping out?! It was hardly a shallow incline!

"Wow," Layton heard Phoenix say as Nosie continued comforting her husband, "he's laying it on thick."

The Professor wracked his brain for something he could say. He had hoped that at least someone in this village could have been sensible – the few citizens, save for that strange child, had seemed like reasonable people – but this was beyond the pale.

"I suppose..." he managed to say. "I suppose that's one way of bringing a sick man to testify."

"...couldn't they just Skype...?" Luke asked weakly.

"I'm so jealous," said Trucy. "Imagine being carried everywhere in your bed. It'd be amazing! I want to go to school like that someday! No, no, I want to be carried onstage in my bed!"

"You wouldn't be able to perform any of your tricks!" Phoenix pointed out.

"I could still do stuff like card tricks if someone brought me a deck!" Trucy retorted. "People can gather round to see, can't they? It'd be cosy!"

Phoenix snorted in laughter.

"That's a show I'd like to see," he said. "A magic show where the magician's just in bed the whole time. Please tell me you'd do the performance in your PJs."

"Daddy, of course!" Trucy said happily. "I'm not going to wear my stage outfit in bed! It'd be uncomfortable!"

"...get him on a webcam or..." Luke mumbled.

When Layton turned to see if he was alright, he noticed the poor boy's eyes were bulging and fixed on the bed Mr Oldfart was lying in.

"Try not to fret too much, my boy." Layton tried to comfort him with a pat on his shoulder. "What matters is that he's in this room to begin with."

"Indeed," Michaela said from across the room, "what our visiting scholar says is the truth, but regardless, since it is a matter of protocol, I must request that our latest witness provide his name and occupation to the members of the court."

Layton suppressed the comment he wanted to make about how rude it was to eavesdrop on a private conversation.

"...my name is..." the old man groaned, "...Wrenkley Oldfart... I take care of chickens and..." He pressed both hands against his stomach. "...ooh... I provide fresh eggs to the... to our dear little village..."

"People are seriously buying this?!" Phoenix whispered.

"I don't understand how..." Wrenkley continued. "...how this could have happened... oof..."

He reached out towards his wife.

"...Nosetta, darling..." he croaked, "...hold my hand..."

"I'm right here, sweetheart!" Nosie clasped his hand again. "I shan't leave you, I promise!"

"...maybe even just email..." said Luke.

"Luke, are you okay?" asked Trucy.

When Layton looked back to check, he saw that his poor apprentice was still very visibly dumbfounded by what he was witnessing.

"I-I don't know..." His voice was softened by horror. "...I think I might be psychologically damaged now..."

"Your Honour," Phoenix said to the judge while Trucy patted Luke on the back. "I recommend we proceed with the testimony as soon as possible so that we can get my third co-counsel to a therapist or something."