CHAPTER TWELVE: The Shrieking Shack

Start bij het begin

"You'll play, I'll pick the best one and then the best will play, and by the end the winner will be the new Slytherin beater," I announced. All the applicants nodded their heads in understanding. "Burke, Rosier, you two are first!" I exclaimed before walking towards the stands and climbing up the stairs to take my seat. A few Slytherins sat here and watched intently as they watched the try-outs. In my hands was a piece of parchment in which I recorded how many times they had saved a team member from being beaten. In a perfect world I could have held try-outs with another team and also recorded how many times they had aimed a bludger at another team's player.

Once the ten minutes of the 'mini-game' was up I walked down onto the pitch. "Sorry Rosier, Burke did better," I announced. I heard Terence Higgs scoff in the crowd, as well as Draco who was sitting out of the try-outs due to there being no use of a seeker. "Probably just because they're mates," he said loftily.

"Do I need to hold try-outs for a new chaser Higgs?" I barked at him, a little too aggressively. I always felt myself getting more and more angry towards the full moon. "And do you fancy another punch in the face Malfoy?" I grabbed his collar and pulled his face up to mine. "I know what your father is," I spat before looking him up and down in utter disgust, "don't give me another reason to kick you off of this team."

"Greengrass, the older one that is, and Goyle!" I exclaimed, "you're next!"

***

Finally, by half two in the afternoon I'd managed to narrow down the competition to two people: Bridgett Burke and Astoria Greengrass. Everyone who had tried out was staying to see who my final decision was. Many people thought that I'd choose Bridgett just because she was my best mate, but Astoria was a surprisingly good beater. For such a small girl she had an amazing swing. Bridgett had even begun to get competitive now, and I could see she was trying a lot harder than she was a couple hours ago. Eventually though, I came to my decision.

I lifted up my wand into the air and sent out green sparks, I would have whistled if I could, but I could not. Everyone flew down back onto the pitch and dismounted their broomsticks. "Thanks to everyone who's tried out," I thanked politely, "lots of team members leaving this year, so feel free to try out next year. But..." I paused to let the tension build. "Sorry Burke, Greengrass beated you," I chuckled a little at my pun and Bridgett smiled. It wasn't as though she were desperate to be on the team anyway. Astoria shook Bridgett's hand and I saw the both of them exchange a smile, which let me know that I had made the correct decision. "Greengrass, if you'll come with me, I'll measure you up for some proper quidditch robes," I then said before walking off into the spare changing rooms.

Astoria followed and I pointed her towards the space in front of me. I conjured a tape measure from the end of my wand and began to measure her shoulders. "Father talks about you and your mother a lot," she said quietly as I made note of her shoulder length.

"You don't even call her your aunt," I chuckled sadly, "sad isn't it." Astoria nodded her head and then pulled up her arms so I could measure them.

"I mentioned how nice your mudblood girlfriend was," she said, "and none of them talked to me for a week."

"That's not a nice word Astoria," I told her, "it's muggle-born."

"Oh," she let out, "I'm sorry."

I couldn't be angry at her. Astoria was a fourteen-year-old girl who'd been raised in a world where saying those sorts of things was considered normal. "You're forgiven," I smiled as I spun her around so I could measure her height, "I just wouldn't say it again if I were you."

"I won't," she replied honestly as she stood up straight so that my measurements would be accurate.

"That's all," I smiled, "welcome to the team!" Astoria beamed proudly.