51| A fool's paradise

This chapter is dedicated to aelin12x

I can't thank you enough for all your support. Reading your comments and knowing you enjoy my book is the highlight of my day <3 

────── ༻♛༺ ──────

The Great Hall of Meduseld was usually bustling with activity. But not that day.

As Aragorn briefed the king, Éomer, Gamling and another captain about Sauron's attack on Daeriel's mind, a blanket of silent, creeping dread fell over the largely empty hall.

As Legolas stood beside Gimli at one of the benches, his mind drifted back to the elleth, her golden hairpiece in his hands. She was somewhere below them right now, in one of the heavily guarded cells of this city. That was why Théoden had decided to close off the Great Hall.

His brows furrowed as he mulled over what had happened no less than an hour ago, thinking back to the way she just surrendered after she was exposed.

Why did she just let herself be disarmed and restrained? Why didn't she put up more of a fight?

Legolas was pulled back to the present with a question from Éomer, who stood beside them.

"Can we interrogate her? Perhaps get some information on how to defeat Sauron?"

From beside Legolas, Gimli scoffed.

"I doubt it. Sauron fears no man, no pain, nor death itself."

Théoden pinched the bridge of his nose with an exhale of frustration as he slowly paced in front of them.

"Well what about her ring?"

Legolas frowned, thinking back to how Daeriel, or Sauron, seemed to recoil at the sight of Amarya. It would seem that because of its ability to burn evil, Daeriel had now developed an aversion to it.

"That appears to be the only exception." Aragorn replied, his hand stroking at his chin. "It seems to be able to cause some harm, but I doubt enough."

Legolas pursed his lips. Aragorn was right.

"Plus," Gimli added, crossing his arms, "when we hurt Sauron, we also hurt Daeriel."

Éomer nodded slowly as the dwarf spoke.

Aragorn glanced at Legolas, who had remained silent the entire time.

"Legolas, what do you think?" He asked.

Everyone's gaze turned to Legolas. He just sighed, shaking his head.

"Capturing her...it shouldn't have been that easy."

Théoden's frown deepened.

"What are you saying?"

"I'm saying that we need to be careful. There must be a reason behind why she did not resist."

There was a moment of silence as everyone collectively processed his words, the sense of dread heightening as the realisation dawned.

Aragorn's voice was low as he broke the silence.

"No one knows what Sauron's plan may be, and now that he's overtaken her mind, we cannot afford to take any chances."

Another captain of the Rohirrim stepped forwards.

"Well then why don't we just eradicate the problem altogether." He glanced around the room. "If she were to escape, it would cause a huge problem. We can't risk that."