3. Getting down and dirty

"Madi, get up we're going to be late!"

I groan and turn over in my bed. Late for what? It's a Sunday, I never have plans on a Sunday. I casually roll off my bed and fall flat on the floor. Ugh I really hate the mornings.

I walk out of my bedroom door and see my younger brother Charlie standing in front of me in his footy gear. Oh crap I forgot. My parents worked an extra shift so I have to take him to his match.

"Seriously Madi we have to leave."

"Mm do I look ready to you." I glare at him and turn on my heel and slam my bedroom door as I go back in.

Why today, I honestly don't function well with a small amount of sleep. I twist the handle of the shower and let the water flow down my body. The warmth makes me relax, but sadly I can't hold onto the feeling forever as I have to retreat from the shower to take Charlie to his game.

I quickly pick out some black skinny jeans, a top and a large jumper as you can practically see the coldness in the air. Tying my hair in it's usual messy bun, I make my way towards the car as my brother follows.

Charlie and I, like most siblings, don't see eye to eye. I believe in having my own space where as he would rather annoy the hell out of me. As much as I love the little guy, there are multiple times where I just want to rip out his voice box so he can be quiet and leave me alone.

---

The siren goes and the match commences. I stand watching awkwardly by myself from the sidelines. I don't play any sport outside of school, but I'm actually not that bad at it. I convinced myself that I was going to have so much homework that there wouldn't be enough time for it, which wasn't the case as I usually finish everything the same day as I received it. My un-coordination seems to surprisingly vanish when playing sport which I am very much proud of.

Standing by the fence, someone decides to join me. They're oddly close so I glance over to see their face.

You've got to be kidding me.

"Can I help you?"

He just stares into the distance and doesn't reply. I stand up straight and fold my arms across my chest. Dylan glances over and I follow his eyes as he moves his gaze up and down my body. His mouth slightly ajar.

"What?"

"No, nothing it's just that you.. uh." I give him a confused look and he finishes with, "you look different."

"Do you honestly think on a daily basis I walk around with twigs in my hair and muddy clothes?"

"Well the twigs no but the clothes," his deep blue eyes light up and an amused look is spread across his face. Taking a step forward he grabs my waist, pulling us closer.

My breath speeds up and my skin begins to prickle. What is he doing, and why is this affecting me so much? "Uh w-what are you doing?" He pulls me closer into his chest and leans me against the fence. The amusement in his eyes is beginning to frighten me.

My heart is thudding against my chest and my breathing has gone out of control. I gulp audibly as I look straight into his eyes. We're mere inches away, this is all moving too fast for my liking.

Just as he moves closer he swiftly picks me up, and leans me over the fence. In shock I let out a little squeal that makes him chuckle. "Let me down!" I say without thinking.

"If you say so." He grins evilly and drops me lower.

"No not like that. Please don't do this."

Beneath me, there is a large mud pile that seems to have my name written all over it, and a second later he lets go and I fall straight into it.