Chapter 9: My Waking Dream. (Part 5)

The arrow shot forward, spinning in the air towards its target as if guided by the shining sun above. A satisfying thunk resounded shaking the wooden board. I breathed in and readied another arrow pulling the bow string to my chin. The target became my focus and everything else a blur. I let go and once more the sounding thud broke the silence of the early morning.

I had a lot of hobbies to make me relax but practising archery had always been my fondest. There was something calming about the rhythmic movements and when the target shook a clear satisfaction bloomed in my chest. It wasn't about hunting for food or shooting to kill but a simple sport, a game even, just to pass the time.

"Impressive," Ronalt's said from behind me.

I almost jumped in surprise but managed to hide it as I turned to greet him, "Good morning Ronalt."

"Same to you Rain," he nodded. "Truthfully with shooting skills as good as yours you could rise the ranks to knighthood."

I shook my head in disagreement, "I can't shoot a knight's bow. This is about as good as I'll get."

"Ah, of course," Ronalt turned his eyes awkwardly. A knight's bow was made of thick wood melded with metal. To pull it back you needed strength beyond what I could produce. For someone who could use magic and reinforce their muscles it wasn't a problem. While my aim was good, if I didn't hit the right place against a thicker skinned monster or person for that matter it would have the same effect as throwing stones. There was the possibility of me using magic but then as I found from last night's experiment I'd probably miss due to the pain.

"Don't worry I don't have any intention to become a knight," I said calmly.

Ronalt came closer, "Still, your aim is above more than just ordinary. If it's you, I wouldn't be surprised if you could."

"Like I said. I have no intention of joining your knights." I died enough as it was. Sure I would get paid an amazing amount and could even obtain peerage but it came along with a risk and a chain.

"I know," he laughed. "The question I have then is why have you been training so much lately?"

I answered bluntly, "We're travelling into demon territory were we intend to take the head of its lord. You're not going to be able to protect me the entire time."

"I'm beginning to understand more and more as to why you were tasked with caring for us," Ronalt smiled. I was beginning to see that smile more often but I wasn't sure if that was a good or bad thing. "I assume you are waiting for Earnest to wake?"

"On the off chance he's up early. It's a possibility."

"Then while you wait perhaps you would like to spar?" he stood a few metres from me and entered a stance with his fists raised. With no armour or padding the glisten of the morning sun highlighted the defined muscles beneath his shirt. Just how much did this guy workout? I considered myself pretty healthy but he really was on another level.

"Hand to hand combat?" I put down my bow.

"While deemed as a basic. For a true Master it is sharper than even the fastest sword."

I smirked, "You're starting to sound like Earnest."

"I heard he took you on as an apprentice."

"In a heavy handed matter, yes."

"Shall we get started?" Ronalt eyed me steadily.

"I'll just throw this out there but I don't even know the basics," I raised my arms.

"Don't worry you'll learn through experience." Before I could reply he stepped forward and punched. I barely got out of the way in time only for him to kick at my head. I ducked in panic and tried to retreat further but he hounded me easily. Hadn't anyone here heard of teaching the basics first! I was getting tired of all this first hand learning.

Ronalt's fist collided with my arms as I guarded my chest. My bones cracked and throbbed in pain. His other hand reached towards me. My instincts flared in danger as I recalled the times he had crushed me with just his palm. A pain rippled through my chest as my mana reacted. Like with Earnest Ronalt's eyes widened in surprise scanning the area in frightful flicks as if I had disappeared. I used the opportunity to flee.

I breathed out painfully and stopped my mana from rampaging. As soon as I did so Ronalt faced me shocked as if I had just reappeared from nowhere.

"Stop!" I yelled out quickly as he jumped towards me. A gust of wind blew past as his fist stopped in front of my chest. "Time out. Remember I'm new to this." My lips jittered. Another inch and I would have probably been sent through the inn's fence.

Ronalt scoffed and straightened himself, "You say that but your reactions are anything but a newcomer's."

"At least give me a second to fix my arm. I think you fractured it...." I touched it gingerly only to wince in pain. "Yep that's not right."

"If you want to begin the path of a fighter you should work through the pain. It'll make you stronger," he spoke seriously. No wonder he looked like he did. I was beginning to think that his methods were more Spartan than Earnest's.

"I'm on the path of trying not to die so please take it easy on me," I bowed.

"Go ahead," he stepped aside and let me move to where I had placed my potions. I took a salve and rubbed it into my skin while holding my arm straight. There was an audible pop and snap as my arm righted itself and began healing. Convenient.

While I waited for the effects to finish I looked to Ronalt, "Have you heard anything from the Fortress Commander?"

"About yesterday?" Ronalt shook his head, "Nothing out of the ordinary. I've advised him to increase the patrols and ask for reinforcements however he is quite confident that the town is safe."

I had to stop myself from frowning. It certainly was not safe and until I found just where the demon army was I wouldn't be able to sleep soundly.

"Don't worry yourself Rain," Ronalt tapped my shoulder. "While we're in town your work is much less than ordinarily. Once we depart you'll be busy once again so please take the time to relax."

"Right...," I huffed and stepped back raising my arms. "Okay I'm ready let's go again."

He sighed, "Looks like I'll have to beat my advice into you."

"Try it."