Chapter 8: My Monster (Part 3)

"W-we'll be alright won't we?" Marley asked at the edge of the carriage. It was the late morning and we were about to leave Greytree. "We won't be seeing that Monster right?"

"Even if we see it, we'll just pass through," Ronalt's voice was as stern as usual. It did little to calm Marley down.

"But if Rain's right then we can't use magic." Seeing her so panicked I couldn't help feel guilty even as well deserved as it was.

Lara placed her hands on her shoulders, "We'll be fine. If anything happens we can work together and deal with it." Even without her words, Lara's smile was more than enough to calm her down.

Marley's expression turned and she nodded seriously, "Right! Let's go."

I waited for everyone to board the carriage and like last time we headed north before turning west towards the forest. There wasn't anything of note on the way other than my chest beating painfully with anxiety. When we arrived at the forest's edge I pulled over and for what would be the last time everyone exited the carriage.

We had a small lunch and Ronalt gave me the forest's map to study. The path was something I had memorised long ago. As I gave the map back Ronalt took my shoulder and held it firmly. I really did think he was going to threaten me but instead his face loosened, or at least as much as it could.

"Rain your bravery will not go unnoticed," he lifted his hand and brought it back down for a solid tap. Before I could say anything he turned away and entered the carriage leaving me very confused. If I wasn't wrong he had actually just said something nice to me. It was a rare moment that left me stunned.

I watched as everyone else boarded. Lara smiled encouragingly, Marley was praying with hands held tight, Earnest was lax as usual and Taylor winked at me. Ardent however closed the door and instead stood beside me.

"Shall we?" he gestured to the driver's seat. "I'm our insurance. While we travel I'll be casting my own magic to keep us hidden. As much as I am interested in this Monster you spoke of, from your description I'd rather stay alive."

I felt my heart tighten, "Thank you."

"It's nothing Rain," he smiled and I helped him into the seat beside me.

I took a deep breath and patted Pina's feathers enjoying the soft texture. She turned her head back to me and chirped. I nodded and took the reins. Without a second delay she began to hurry down the path.

Just like last time the forest was eerily quiet. The trees were thick and practically blocked off all light. Ardent beside me frowned as we made our way further into the depths. The quality of the road became steadily worse and as the carriage bumped up and down Ardent had to hold on for security. Still the atmosphere gave me a sense of odd peace. Maybe it was the calm before the storm, my mind giving up and accepting what was bound to happen. I couldn't change the path now with Ardent here and despite his magic I felt that fate had a higher hand to play.

It happened almost anticlimactically. Ardent sat beside me with his eyes glued to the road as a soft glow permeated through his hands. Then his eyes widened.

"Oh dear," he half laughed.

"Is it...?" I left my question open as he slowly nodded.

"It seems the Monster is quiet sensitive to magic. My actions have only brought us trouble. I am truly sorry."

I sighed in exasperation. Strangely my nerves were fine. "Pina go!" I tightened my grip on the reins as she built up speed. The earth began to rumble.