Chapter Three

Finally arriving at my backpack, I brushed the leaves off of my belongings and bent down to pick them up. Suddenly I could sense somebody near me as I stood up and whirled around.
      "Clark!" I exclaimed Not expecting to see him, "How did you get here so fast, you were supposed to be waiting?" I asked climbing out of the ditch and back up to the road.

       "Guess I'm just a fast walker." He smiled with a quiet laugh, the feeling of a smirk grew on my face unwillingly.
      "While that's humanly impossible, I'll let it slide cause I don't wanna walk alone." I responded as he followed behind me. He caught up to me easily and soon we were walking side by side.

       "What did Lex mean by he hit you?" I asked as we continued down the road, the farms in the distance.
       "Uh, y'know I don't really know." He responded, dropping his head and watching his feet as we walked. Looking over at him confused I tried to study his facial expressions but other than flushed cheeks nothing looked like it would crack.

         I don't think I'd ever had a chance to be this close to him since we were kids, normally he looks like he's about to pass out, or he just watches from afar.
         I noticed him getting flustered the longer I looked at him and I quickly turned back to face the farms.
        "You did a good thing today Clark Kent." I smiled as we approached the gate to my home, He smiled.
        "I'd like to believe he would do the same for me." Clark responded surely standing up straighter.

        "I wish I could agree with you," I responded as I looked back at the road that led to the bridge. "But Luthors have a reputation." I finished looking back at him. He seemed a little annoyed by that response but his features quickly softened back to a smile.
       "Hey I'd love to walk you home again." He yelled out at me as I was walking away, turning to face him I smiled.
        "I'd love that." I responded turning back around before he could notice my red cheeks. Giddily I raced up to the front door and walked inside closing it and leaning against the door.

        "Sadie where have you been!" My mother walked into the kitchen as I pushed off the door.
        "There was an accident I wanted to make sure everybody was ok." I responded, setting my books on the counter.
        "Is Taylor ok?" She asked, obviously concerned as she rushed over to me.

        "Taylor's fine mom...I didn't ride home with him." I answered turning to grab a water, she stopped me as I went to leave the room.
        "Don't tell me you walked home by yourself." She said concerned.
        "No," I started pulling away and heading for the stairs. "I walked home with Clark." I finished, Almost making it up the first step before she responded.

         "The Kent's kid?" She started, "since when have you talked to him?" She added, following behind me.
         "I don't know mom, he's refreshing...he's not like Taylor, not even close to him." I responded under my breath walking up the stairs and to my room.

         My mom wasn't a complicated person, she was the head of the cheerleading team in highschool so obviously I had to do cheerleading. She married the captain of the football team so she wanted me to date and eventually Taylor.
         It was as if I didn't get to decide what I wanted in life, and I'd never had a problem with that until Jamie left. Jamie was my rock and he always stood up for me, but now he was a million miles away.
         But something about Clark gave me that hope again, I didn't feel like I had to confine myself to that cookie cutter life my mother so longingly wanted me to have.

         Hours passed and I couldn't shake the questions that bounced around in my head, why did my bracelet glow like that...why did Clark get sick around me until now, and most importantly why was Lex so sure of himself.
       I couldn't take it anymore and I had to get at least one answer, jumping out of my seat and grabbing my Jean jacket. I sped down the stairs
         "I'm heading over to the Kent's I'll be home soon." I yelled behind me before my mother could ask why I was going there.

        It had gotten pretty dark out, but that was my favorite time of day. It was a nice feeling to be just you, the dirt roads, and the stars above you.
        Even though we were practically neighbors it was still a considerably long walk to the Kent farm. Walking up their driveway I came to the front door and knocked.

       "Sadie?" Martha questioned as she opened the door.
       "Hi Mrs Kent, is there any chance I can talk to Clark?" I asked, she looked at me for a moment before nodding.
        "He's out in the barn." She responded with a smile, nodding I turned and worked my way down the dark gravel road to the barn. It was lit with warm golden lights and welcoming.

         Quietly I knocked on the wooden door of the open barn. Looking up I could see him bending over the railing of his loft.
         "Sadie, What are you doing here?" He asked as he pushed back off the railing.
          "I just wanted to talk, it felt like we got kinda cut off earlier." I smiled looking around the barn. He motioned for me to come up the stairs as he turned and sat on the sofa.

        "Wow...this is really nice, I don't think I've ever seen it." I said looking around the room, there was a telescope pointing out the open barn window and books stacked on the coffee table. "All these years I've known you and not once have I seen this." I laughed, he smiled in response. A nice warm smile, a very inviting one.
        "Well, I'm glad you finally got to see it, your welcome to come whenever." He responded, I nodded.
"So what exactly did you want to talk about." He asked.

        "Oh right! Well, my questions could go on for hours," I started with a smile, "but I guess most importantly...what happened at the crash? And how did you catch up with me so fast?" I finished looking at him and meeting his eyes. He looked shocked and took a second to deliberate before responding.

       "I'm sorry if that was a lot." I added looking down at my feet, rubbing my thumb over my knuckle.
       "Yo-your fine, I just dove in and pulled him out...and I was able to pace you I've always been good at running." He responded, I could see the hidden fear on his face, I'd used that face billions of times.

        "Well...I'm just glad you're okay, and that we finally got to talk." I responded after we'd sat in silence. We both caught each other's eyes and I stared at the moonlight reflecting in his crystal eyes. It was almost mesmerizing as I felt myself coming close to him.

         "Hey Kent!" A familiar voice yelled from the doorway of the barn. I snapped out of my trance and looked over the railing as I saw Taylor angrily striding up the stairs. Clark jumped up from his seat and went to meet Taylor before he could enter the loft.
        "Oh god, this can't be good." I whispered