Chapter 2

The rest of the evening I couldn't stop thinking about what had happened just a few hours ago. The next morning I woke up around 5:30 am. I got dressed a little better than I would normally. Today I decided that I was going to wear a pair of tight ripped jeans and my favorite off-the-shoulder black flowing top. I slipped on my short leather jacket with it. Then putting my all-black converse on, I was almost ready to go. I did light makeup with eyeliner and mascara. I ran down the cream-colored steps and into my living room where I grabbed my bag from the leather armchair next to the dark brown couch. I made sure that I had everything that I needed for the day and then made my way to the door. It was only about 6:20 in the morning, and the school didn't start till 7, but I needed time to walk through the rain that I assumed was outside. I opened my door and was met with heavy and extremely cold rain. I stepped outside and made my way down the driveway to the sidewalk. The sun was beginning to rise on this mid-October morning and the rain was still going strong as normal. I met the sidewalk and in front of me, I saw the house that I was in yesterday for a brief second. I continued to walk down the sidewalk, trying to push what happened out of my mind. No matter what I did the situation just wouldn't go away. Why was he being so nice to me? I have him in class for 45 minutes a day and he drove me home that evening. Why? Questions raced through my head but I was soon snapped out of my thoughts by the honk of a car horn. I looked over and saw the same black car that I was in yesterday after school. I saw Mr. Spencer reach across the small, grey middle dash and open the door to the passenger side. "Hey get in," He said to me. I stood there for a second. Then despite whatever I was thinking, I walked towards the car. I got in and shut the door, feeling the warm air of the car rush over me. "You need to get an umbrella or something if you are going to walk in the rain all the time. You are going to get sick" He told me once again. I nodded. "I know, sir. I just don't have the time or money to be doing that" I said, hearing the click of my seat belt as I draped it over my chest. He nodded to me. Then he took off towards the school. We got there about 5 minutes later. "Your teacher for the first period probably isn't here yet, you can stay in my room for now," He said to me. "Thank you, sir," I said as we parked in the lot. We made our way inside and up the stairs, walking down the silent hallway. He stopped and took his key out of his suit jacket that was black. Underneath he wore a plain white button-up shirt. He opened the door and let me in first before walking in himself, closing the door behind him. He sat his stuff down at his desk and then began to write what we were going to be doing for the day on the chalkboard that was in front of the classroom. I sat in one of the front desks, just on top with my bag on the seat behind me. Then it was silent for a short amount of time. The light clicking of the clock was the only thing that was heard. "Why are you so nice to me?" I blurted out. He turned to me. "What do you mean?" I tilted my head slightly. "Driving me to and from school and allowing me in your class," I said getting off of my desk. He walked closer to me. "That's common courtesy isn't it?" He questioned me. "Yes, but you just met me and are my teacher," I said looking down at the floor and then back up. "Exactly," He said, turning back to the board. "What do you mean?" I asked him. Walking up next to him at the board. He just looked at me and smiled. The bell rang signaling that the students were going to be coming in soon. "You better get going," He said to me. I nodded turning around, my bag on my shoulder. Before I could take a step I felt him grab my hand and spin me around to face him. This was closer than I had ever been to anyone. "I'll see you second period," He said to me, his eyes digging into mine. Only inches apart from him. I nodded and he let go of me, opening the door and beckoning me to be on my way. I walked out of the classroom and the door shut behind me. 'What the hell just happened?' I walked down to my locker, my breathing heavy after what had happened. My face was hot, that I knew, and so did Natalie when she met me at my locker. "You look flustered," She said to me, her heels clicking against the tile as she strutted up to me. "What do you mean?" I asked her, my eyes slightly wider than normal. "Your cheeks are really red right now. Did something happen?" She asked me. I shook my head 'no'. "Not that I know of?" I said as more of a question than a full answer. She tilted her head and then dropped the subject. "Are you working tonight?" Natalie asked me as we went down the hall to the staircase. "Yeah, it's Friday." I said laughing slightly. Natalie groaned. "I wish you would just call off! There is a party down at Derek's tonight and I really want you to come. And David has been asking about you..." She trailed off. David. David Hurt was one of the most popular kids in our school, even though he was a major theater nerd. He also was captain of the lacrosse team here. And Derek. Derek' Morgan was David's best friend and a total player. He dated all of the cheerleaders in under a month. "Why has he been asking about me?" I asked her as we walked up the stairs. She shrugged. "Guess he's interested," She said, wiggling her eyebrow at me, I rolled my eyes. "I'm not interested. I have my eye on someone" I said matter of factly. She tilted her head again and raised an eyebrow once more. "Is that why you were so red?" Natalie questioned. "I don't know is it?" I asked her as we parted ways when I walked into English. English went fine as it normally did. Walking out of class when the bell rang, Natalie ran up to me excitedly. "You ready to see Mr. Hottie in science?" She asked me. I laughed. "Sure," I said as we began to walk away to class. We walked in and sat in our normal seats. I looked up and saw that Mr. Spencer was already looking at me. He shot me a smile and a wink, and the smile I returned. "Did he just wink at you?" Natalie asked me. I shook my head no. "Nah I doubt it, he probably just had something in his eye," I said looking at her. She gave me a weird look. He started class just a second after the bell rang. He told us that today we were going to be working on balancing chemical equations, which we had already learned to do. He gave us all a worksheet and set us free to work with whoever we wanted. I stayed with Natalie like I always did. We went through the first few and then I got stuck on one of the really complicated ones. "Natalie, do you know how to do this one?" I asked her. She shook her head no. "Need help, ladies?" I heard from beside me. I looked up and was met with the chocolate brown eyes that I had seen only minutes before. I looked up to see that Mr. Spencer was now in front of us. I nodded. "Yeah, actually I'm stuck on number 19 here," I said, showing him the paper that we were working on. He looked at it and explained what we were doing. The whole time I couldn't focus, I was staring at him. His perfect lips as he talked, the way his eyebrow had a slight slit in it, and just noticing that his right hand had a tattoo on it that showed just outside of his wrist, of something that I couldn't quite identify. He turned to me. "You understand now?" He asked me, snapping me out of my staring. "U-uh yeah," I said. He nodded and got off his knee where he was on the floor beside me. He walked away and moved on to helping another group of people that were struggling. I looked over at Natalie who was almost drooling from staring at Mr. Spencer.