16 || champagne & business

Start from the beginning

"Who are you wearing tonight?", one yells.

"This old thing?", I laugh, "Oscar de la Renta."

"How are you feeling about your father's return?", somebody else shouts.

"I'm ecstatic! I don't think I've ever been happier than when I found out he was returning home safe."

"Will he be attending tonight?"

"I doubt it but then again, he is Tony Stark, so never say never."

"What do you think of his latest decision to shut down weapons manufacturing at Stark Industries?"

I think for a moment, careful of my words, "Business has never been my forte but if that's what he thinks is best, I one-hundred percent support him."

"Where have you been the past three months?", somebody else yells.

"I should get inside now, thank you.", I turn and walk up the carpeted steps, ignoring them as they call after me.

Once I'm inside, I scan the room for anyone who looks vaguely interesting or fun. Surprise, surprise, nobody. Wait, is that... Sweet Jesus! Pepper!

She looks stunning. I mean, she's always pretty, but right now, she's just... wow. She's wearing a silk, navy-blue, backless dress. Again, she looks stunning.

I walk over to her with a wide grin, "Pepper! Wowzers.", I say.

She turns around and sees me, "Oh, Aria, hey! You look gorgeous!", she exclaims.

"You look amazing, where'd you get that dress?", I ask.

"Uh... your dad, for my birthday.", she tells me, a knowing look on both of our faces.

"Well, it looks great on you.", I tell her.

A group of investors come over and start talking to us, "Miss Stark, how are you?"

"I'm fantastic, thank you. How are you?"

The numbingly dull conversation about stock drops and whatnot drags on at snail's pace. At some point, Pepper manages to slip away, abandoning me to go through this by myself. Just as I think I'll forevermore have to discuss Stark Industries' new fate, a hand taps on my shoulder. Spinning around, I see Obie stood behind me and I smile at the sight of a familiar, vaguely interesting face.

"Mind if I borrow Aurelia for a dance for a moment?", he asks and all the old men I was stuck talking to murmur something along the lines of 'yes'.

He places a hand on the small of my back- a little too low for my liking- and leads me onto the dance floor, making me slightly uncomfortable. I squirm a little at his overly-friendly touch, though he doesn't seem to notice. He wraps his arms around my waist and sways to the music playing, towering over me. His eyes meet mine and a shiver runs down my spine, though I've known the man since before I can remember.

"I'm just going to grab a drink.", I excuse myself, moving my way out of his grip and hurriedly walk anywhere away from him.

My heels clip over to the bar and I lean against it. The bartender looks at me, then turns around and starts making me a margarita. Fantastic. The whole world thinks that my dad is addicted to scotch and thinks I'm addicted to margaritas. Not wrong about my dad, and I do really like margaritas, but-

"Aria, I'm glad to see a familiar face.", a voice says, snapping me out of my train of thoughts.

I spin around and see Coulson standing next to me at the bar, "Phil!", I force a grin.

"Were you okay on the dance floor? You look pale as a ghost.", he tells me, as we both watch Obadiah walk outside.

"Yeah, I was fine, just thirsty.", I lie with ease.