Chapter One

“Dear Parents,

            Your child has been invited to the Whiting Boarding School.”

            Gwen wrinkled her nose. She disliked being called a child.

            “It is an extremely excusive elite school. Your child is known to have very special skills, and we aim to further advance them, and those of others.”

            Felicity raised an eyebrow. Skills?

            “Your child will board in our state-of-the-art facilities, staying there until the end of the year.”

            Nick sucked in his breath. There, away from his family?

            “It is a complete scholarship, paying for all expenses and/or damages.”

            Luke frowned. Damages? What sort of boarding school was this? One for chronically violent people? Gwen grinned. She knew the damages part was for her, and could destroy things/people all she wanted. Nick felt even worse. He hated this school, yet it was perfect for him, down to the no cost. Felicity was intrigued. Who cares about money, when you have so much of it?

            “We will not only focus on your child’s special abilities. Our staff will still teach them standards, although we are sure your child will not need it.”

            Gwen rolled her eyes. She hated flattery. And they kept calling her a child! But this was a perfect opportunity.

            “In closing, we hope you will accept our very lucrative offer, as it is in the best interests of your child.

            Sincerely,

            Mr. Hylant.”

            Gwen chucked the paper on the ground and started to whoop and punch the air in excitement. She would never, ever, have to come back to the hated parent’s house ever again! She wouldn’t have to go to a school full of plastic cheerleaders, stupid jocks, retarded losers, and nerds ever again! (She neglected to notice that if a school didn’t have cheerleaders, jocks, losers, or nerds, there wouldn’t be any people.)

            Nick dropped the letter in cold horror. He could barely survive life here, let alone in a rich kid’s boarding school. And, he would be taken away from the only people who he ever loved, his family. But he took one look at his mom, and all his thoughts crumpled under the weight of her shining eyes. She was adamant about his education, and refused to let him go to the terrible public schools. She couldn’t pay for his private school anymore, and now he could go to an elite boarding school, for free! Nick had to do it, for her.

            Felicity stared at it in confusion. Why would her parents send her here? What was so special about this one? But really, who cared? Just another boring school. Or was it? Secretly, she was excited. Skills, no one had ever told her she had skills. She felt, wanted, special. All those interviews, they just wanted to know about her sister. Blair this, Blair that, nobody cared about her. She would just lie, smile sweetly, and go with it. And somehow, she knew it wouldn’t be any different at Whiting either.

            Luke was instantly suspicious. He knew no one could be trusted. Why would “Mr. Hylant” be an exception? His dad wasn’t anything like this. His dad loved him. Why would he miss the few chances to see his son because he sent him to boarding school? But he trusted his dad, the only one he trusted, and if this was what he wanted, then so be it.