.𝟸.

"What about Clay?"

I stared at him with my eyebrows pulled into a confused expression.

"When was the last time you saw him?" Alex asked, glancing back at his phone screen.

"It's been a while." I said quietly, shrugging as the realization hit.

The last conversation we had was probably a few weeks ago. It was over text too. I remember the last time I saw him, he had the same wavy dirty blonde hair, bright green eyes and faint freckles spotted over his nose and cheeks. The same he's always been.

"Yeah here, I'll show you- Shit." He paused, bringing the phone back. "Karl's calling, one sec."

I sat there completely baffled. Alex got up from the couch and walked into the kitchen while on the phone with Karl. They were talking about something to do with a an inconvenience that happened at their apartment complex.

"Do you need help? Do you need me to come over there? What about Tiger???"

I furrowed my eyebrows and turned to peer into the kitchen. He was pacing back and forth, gripping his phone tighter than normal.

"Okay, I'll be right over." He said before hanging up the call and changing his gaze to me.
"Tiger threw up on Karl and the air conditioning in our apartments broke so now it reeks." He explained, walking back into the living room and grabbing his jacket.

"Do you need assistance? I can come with you if you need to-"
"No no, stay here and get some sleep." He quickly cut me off, leaning over the back of the couch and giving me a quick hug.

"But what about Cla-"
"Gotta go bye!"

With that he closed the apartment door, leaving me in an alone and silent room. The soft buzz from the tv screen illuminated a blue glow across the room. I glanced at my phone resting on the coffee table.
Surely he would respond if I texted him. It hasn't been that long.

I set my food beside me on the couch and clumsily grabbed my phone, accidentally knocking over an empty bag. As soon as I unlocked the phone, the 10% warning pops up. I mentally groan and hoist myself off the couch, dragging my feet across the carpet as I type,
Hi Clay, it's been a while, do you have time to talk?

I stared at each and every letter I typed, hovering my finger over the send button. I don't know why, but I feel like I'm bothering him somehow. If he wanted to talk he would text me surely.

I closed my eyes tightly and hit the send button, listening as the little ding vibrated in my hand. It's not like I was expecting an immediate answer but I held still, standing there like an idiot waiting for a response.

The last conversation we had was about meeting up. He had discussed his availability and the times and dates he would be free.
Late June, early July.
It's currently June 2nd and he hasn't texted me any detail about our upcoming plans. I'm starting to think he may have forgotten.

After a good 30 seconds I returned my gaze to my home screen, watching as the delivered mark hovered under my message. I let out an exasperated sigh and plugged my phone in, tossing it onto my nightstand. I pace around my room, running my fingers through my hair tiredly. I work myself up for the tiniest things nowadays. Every slight inconvenience I might have I will spend hours and hours, days and days even, just thinking about it.

I eventually found myself laying on the cool carpet floor, staring at the ceiling as the sound of the distant air conditioner filled in the loud silence. Before I left Florida for the last time, Clay and I did this exact thing. We would lay on the floor, staring at the ceiling while just taking in the last few minutes we had with each other.