Prologue

PROLOGUE

They say you can't escape your past, but I don't believe that. I believe you escape it every day, over and over again, always cognizant of the difference between past and present"

Susan Richards,

Her delicate fingers moved the bookmark at the last page where she's fixing it. She felt something tingle as she tries to understand the word on that fading paper.

"You look amused"

Ace looked at her where her uncle stood. Nginitian niya ito habang inilalagay ang libro sa gilid.

"Nakakatuwa lang pong isipin. Ilang taon na ba mula noong umalis ako sa amin? 15? Matagal na panahon na rin, tapos ngayong parang lahat ng gawin ko ay nagpapaalala na kailangan ko nang umuwi."

"Nagbigay na pala ng hudyat ang daddy mo."

"Tama po. Tapos na ang proyekto niyang yun. Alam niyang binibilang na ng mga kalaban niya sa kapangyarihan ang nalalabing araw niya sa kastilyo. Nagsisimula na rin akong mangamba"

May kaunting kislap ang nagmula sa halos ginto niyang mga mata ng tiningala niya ang bilog na buwan.

"Paano kaya tatanggapin ng mga yun na buhay pa ako? Na hindi nila ako tuluyang napatay sa aksidenteng ginawa niya? Paano kung sabihin nila na gumgawa lang ako ng kwento?"

"Kung ako ang nasa posisyon nila, malamang mahihirapan akong maniwala. Masyadong karumal dumal ang pinlano nilang yun para sa isang musmos. Naalala mo? Naiyak ako nang dumating ka tagpuang yun habang karga ang isa pang bata."

"Edan.. parang kailang lang nang huli kong marinig ang iyak ng batang yun."

"Alam mo bang nagmumukha mon ang anak si Edan, halos hawig na kayo. Kung magkasingkulay lang ang mata niyo, papasa na siyang anak mo."

Her watery amber-colored eyes will always be the proof of her lineage.

"Sa tingin mo ba kung hindi nangyari ang mga nangyari, magiging ganito ako ngayon?" she asked nonchalantly

"Sa tingin ko hindi. Mananatili ka sa lupain natin, baka kasama mo na ngayong nagpapalago ng negosyo si Leyrin. Maraming magiging kaibahan, hindi mo makikilala ang mga kaibigan mo ngayon, lalo na yung anim na itlog mo. Kung hindi nangyari ang mga nangyari, baka nakakakulong ka lang sa bayan na iyon"

As if there was a cue, they looked at each other

"Bigla tuloy akong nalungkot. Buong buhay kong pinaghandaan ang pagbabalik ko sa sa bayan ko."

"We were awarded power, my dear girl, it may be sad in some ways, but our people are waiting for you"

The thought of going back to protect everything that her family had after everything was taken keeps her anxiety up every night but tonight, all of it intensified.

"There's fear in your eyes. Unlike when you were young, I can now see fears in your eyes."

"When we lost Leyrin to because of them, I thought that I don't have anything to fear since I have nothing else to lose. But now that I found them, I feel scared of standing alone after this war."

"You seem to be belittling your allies so much. Your soldiers come after you, they are not easy targets. You need to put your bets in them as much as they have gambled their lives for you."

She paused at his statement.

After what he said, they both heard footsteps coming from the long hallways. She didn't bother moving because Ace knows very well that there's only one person who dares to make her heartbeat run wild.

"I told you to stop sitting in the terrace dangerously like this" he whispered into her ear as his arms wrapped around her waists.

"I'm sorry but I don't remember promising to follow your orders." She replied as he leans backward, putting her weight on his shoulder as they both look at the vast sky.

"I think you forgot that your uncle is still here. Is this my cue to leave?" after coughing her uncle found the courage to interrupt both of them.

The two almost chuckled at this remark.

The older man went on his way out leaving both of them alone.

"How is dad hun?"

"He is at the safehouse. The body we bought is now at the foot of the mountain. We burnt it already with your father's heirloom watch. You were right when you said it. We placed some of your father's hair there too, just in case someone would ask for them to do a DNA Test. I planted someone to tail the investigation so we can get information if people are suspicious of the body." He muttered the words as he gently plants kisses on her hand.

"Are we ready to pay them back?"

"We are ready. It's time to let their own ghost hunt them" he said as he ended the conversation with a smirk.

Disclaimer:

This is a work of fiction. Names, Characters, Business Events, and Incidents are products of the Author's Imagination. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental

This written work is in progress therefore, typographical errors and other mistakes relating to text constructions are subjects for revision.

TRIGGERS:

Please be aware that there are scenes in this story that talks about sensitive topics such as suicide and assault. Chapters containing scenes that are sensitive shall be marked with (!!!!!!!) at the beginning to avoid triggers.

The issues raised in this fictional work are not meant to be taken lightly. If it does offend anyone in any shape or form, I would like to apologize in advance. The course of events and the trail of dialogues are based on the character's point of view, making it non-existent in the real world.

Warning:

PLAGIARISM is a serious crime. This piece is a product of days of hard work and sleepless nights. If your morale is too low to leech on other people's efforts, then you are not worthy of this field.

Author's Note

If you're here and you spared me some time, I would like to say a thousand thank you to you. I hope I'll be able to somehow contribute to your life through my passion. I dedicate this to my friends and colleagues who motivated me and gave me the chance that I can't give myself. Thank you. You all know who you are and I'll always remember your warm support.

MissPennylope