Chapter 16

Prompt from @silvermoon_artemis (ao3 user): Loki should totally follow Y/N on her mission, regardless of what it is. Maybe stepping in when she seems to need help, like an overprotective boyfriend. Or maybe she really does need help and he helps. If he shows himself to the public that would be great for his I'm-not-crazy thing, but if he just lends her a bit of power somehow, then, well, no one will know but Y/N.

And he's definitely wondering to himself like "why do I care about this mortal so much???" And then he finds out she has powers and he uses that as an excuse to stay with her, because who doesn't want to figure out an interesting new magic power? 

A/N: sorry about the lack of updates, I'm still in shock from the new loki trailer <33 I hope you enjoy this one, it's a bit longer. Please keep sending prompts!:)

...

The mission will be an easy one.

Fury's deliberately given you an easy first assignment, and you don't know whether to be relieved or annoyed about it. Part of you is indignant (you are the youngest SHIELD agent ever recruited, you can handle more than this), but part of you is almost thankful.

You're ready for it to be tough, but you know you have to get it over and done with. Much as it pains you to admit it, Fury had been right when he'd said that it would be easier after you got the first mission out of the way.

It's the day after you'd received your assignment, and you're preparing to leave with Amber and Josh, another agent. You know that Loki was allowed out of his cell yesterday, but you haven't heard any further news.

At this exact moment, however, your mind is on other things. He hasn't come to wish you good luck. But why would he? You don't let yourself think about it.

"Agent Y/L/N, Agent Jackson, Agent Collins. Your car is here."

You swallow nervously and nod, not allowing any emotion to show on your face. Just get it over with. It'll get easier.

In the car another agent gives the three of you a rundown of the mission; it should barely take one day, let alone the two you've been given. At the end of his monologue he looks as though he wants to say something about the fact that you haven't been in the field for a while.

You give him a look that clearly says 'don't' and he bows his head, closing the file he had open on his lap. Amber and Josh are watching you. You have to address it. You've been thinking about it all of yesterday and today.

Last night you'd even practiced. It's been years since you've actively tried to use your powers; you'd almost hoped they had disappeared. They hadn't.

"Okay. You guys have probably heard rumours about me being... about me having-"

"Y/N, you don't have to." Amber says kindly. Again, she reminds you so forcefully of Jas that you have to take a second. You miss her so much.

"I should." you smile back at Amber grimly, and she nods gently. Josh is watching you with a look of kind concern on his face.

"It's nothing special, really. Just... it kind of..." you find yourself unable to explain, and instead close your eyes and concentrate on bringing it to the surface. You'd trained yourself from a young age to control it; apparently the training had stuck.

You open your eyes and fight desperately hard not to feel slightly pleased at the looks of awe on Amber's, Josh's and the other Agent's faces.

Bright blue pulsating energy is running up and down your hands and arms. You try not to look at it.