Chapter 9

Prompt from @LadyDia (ao3 user): So, I think that she (Y/N) catches hell for "not trying harder to convince us". She points out that they were essentially going to lock her up if she did any more arguing ... But of course, Tony has trouble admitting he was wrong, and tries to tell her they never would have done that.

And since this is Earth, there's nothing here that can actually hold Loki- so he ends up with Mjolnir on his chest, which is a decidedly temporary solution.

So, how do they try to keep him in one place while Thor "secretly" goes to Asgard and gets restraints? They get her to "entertain" him! Maybe she's got an earpiece where various people try to tell her how to keep him there- in conflicting ways.

A/N: love love love all of this. I changed the last part up a bit, hope you enjoy:) (I'm starting to get a few more prompts now, but keep sending them in!<3)

...

"Y/N, come with me. Quickly."

Nat bursts into your office about ten minutes later with a look on her face similar to the one she had on day of the attack on New York. You follow her swiftly down corridors, your hands over your ears to try and block out the noise of the sirens.

People are panicking; no one knows what's going on. The flashing lights aren't doing anything to help matters.

"Where are we going?" you yell. Nat doesn't hear you, ploughing on ahead of you, down four flights of stairs; along more corridors, until you reach the interrogation rooms. Your heart drops.

"It's okay, Tony's in there." Nat tells you, clocking the alarmed look on your face. You relax slightly, until you enter one of the rooms and see Fury is in there as well.

"Sit down, quickly."

"What's happening?" you ask as you do. On your way here you had decided to feign innocence. You don't want to be fired; you're lucky that you've been kept on after you quit being an agent in the first place.

Tony looks at Fury briefly, and then back at you.

"Loki's been leaving his cell. Just now, he... flickered. Just for a second, but it was enough." he tells you. You stare at him, waiting.

"Y/N, why didn't you say anything more?" Fury asks, before Tony can open his mouth.

Your mouth falls open. You'd been expecting an apology.

"I beg your pardon?" you finally manage.

"This is the most serious security breach we've ever seen; you knew about it, and all you did was panic and then accept that you were going mad. You're better than that." Fury says. You stare at him, unashamedly furious, before turning to Tony. He looks away.

"Is this a joke?" you ask seriously. Your hands are shaking; you clench them into fists under the table you're sat before.

"No. This is deadly serious, so I suggest you remain reasonable." Fury tells you. You're already so far past 'reasonable'.

"You would have locked me up if I'd kept on!" you exclaim. Tony gifts you with eye contact at that.

"Don't be ridiculous, we would never have locked you up." he protests.

"You thought that I was still being affected by the power source in the sceptre, and you wouldn't have locked me up." you say disbelievingly.

"No." Tony says defiantly, looking away again. In this exact moment you thoroughly dislike both him and his massive ego which won't allow him to admit he was wrong.