Chapter 14

Prompt from jesimay003: Person 1 "Do that again and I'll throw you out the window you-what on earth are you doing?". Person 2 "Checking how high the drop is, see if it's worth it." 

A/N: I've been waiting for an excuse to use this one. Send more prompts<3

...

"You moved."

You jump, again. When will you learn?

Loki is looking around your new office with a look of mild interest on his face.

"Yes." you reply, looking at him carefully, trying to discern whether it's really him or an illusion. He looks fine again, which means he's using an illusion even if it really is him.

He catches you staring and picks up a pen that's sat on your desk.

"It's me." he says, throwing it to you. You catch it.

"They let you out of the chains then?" you ask, turning back to your box of things which you're unpacking on to your new desk.

"Yes. But that is not common knowledge." he replies.

"Well, I'm glad you told me that. I was just about to go and tell all of my colleagues." you tell him, shooting him a disbelieving look.

"Why are you up here?" Loki asks you.

"I took back my old job." you say simply, continuing to unpack your things.

"Why?" he asks.

"Very talkative today, aren't you?" you observe, slightly more harshly than you'd intended. Loki falls silent.

After a few seconds you sigh and turn around to face him.

"I couldn't just- let them..." you say, gesturing towards him; struggling to find the words.

"So it is my fault." Loki replies. You frown, shaking your head.

"No. I took the job back; that's on me. I was bored sitting behind a desk anyway." you tell him, turning around and removing the last item from your box.

"You should not have-"

"I don't want to talk about it, okay? It's done." you snap, before sighing and closing your eyes. You're being awful to him.

"Sorry."

Loki doesn't reply; there's an awkward silence in which you look into the empty box and he looks at the bottom of your desk.

"Are you alright?" you ask him, turning around. He looks at you.

"Am I... alright." he repeats slowly.

"Yeah. You know, after the torture." you shrug, sitting back against your desk and crossing your arms. Sadistic humour has worked before; maybe it will again.

His eyes narrow slightly, but his mouth curves into half a smile. You fight not to feel pleased.

"I'm fine." he tells you.

"You didn't look fine two days ago."

"Well, that was two days ago."

"Exactly." you say pointedly, pulling a face.

"I am a god. I heal quickly."

"So... you're not using an illusion?" you ask.

"I did not say that."

You raise your eyebrows and smile as though you've won. Which you have. Loki rolls his eyes which as far as you're concerned concedes defeat, and only serves to make your smile widen.

"Hi, Y/N?"

Your head snaps towards the doorway and you see an unfamiliar woman stood in the doorway to your office. She probably thinks you're mad, sat in your office alone smiling at a wall.

"Hi. Yes." you say, standing up and determinedly ignoring Loki who hasn't moved from his spot and is now smirking at you. You assume that the woman can't see him from the fact that she isn't calling security.

"I'm Agent Jackson. I've heard great things." she says, moving into your office with her hand extended.

"Oh. Thanks. Nice to meet you." you reply, unsure of how to respond.

"A group of us usually go for lunch around one pm, you're welcome to join us." she tells you with a smile. She suddenly, forcefully reminds you of Jas.

For a second you can't speak, and you have to swallow hard before you can get any words out.

"Yeah, sure. Thank you." you manage to say to her, plastering a smile on to your face.

She leaves, and you sit down heavily in the chair behind your desk. It's a lot less comfy than your old one.

"What was that about?"

You startle, looking back at Loki. You'd forgotten he was in the room with you.

"I- uh. She just reminded me of someone." you tell him, clearing your throat to try and rid it of the lump that's lodged itself there.

"Was she with you when you went undercover?"

You stare at him.

"How did you..?"

"Lucky guess." he says.

Your gaze wanders, and you don't reply. Becoming an agent again is going to be harder than you'd thought.

Snapping out of your daze of unpleasant thoughts, you reach to turn your computer on. You have things to do before you meet up with your new colleagues for lunch.

Loki, who thankfully isn't asking any further questions about your past, walks over to your desk and starts putting things around the room.

"What are you doing?" you ask, watching him.

"Decorating."

"Why?" you ask, shaking your head.

"Bored." he says, and you mouth it along with him, having guessed what he was about to say a split second after you'd spoken. You can't tell if he smiles or not, because he turns away quickly.

You concentrate on setting up your new computer while Loki puts things around the room, and then decides that he can't be bothered to walk four strides back over to your desk from the bookshelf and teleports, making you jump.

"If you do that one more time I'm going to throw you out of the window." you stress, pointing at him in what you assume to be a threatening manner. He doesn't look very threatened, more mildly amused.

He strolls over to the window and looks down.

"...what are you doing?"

"Checking how high the drop is, see if it's worth it." he tells you. Now it's your turn to roll your eyes.

"And?"

"Not worth it."

"But you don't doubt that I would throw you out the window."

"Not for a second." he tells you.

"Best not do it again then." you say.

"Best not." he agrees.