CHAPTER THREE - i puke on my crush's shoes

Start from the beginning

The smell of food was still present in the air. Indication that they had just finished eating when they found her. How they had found her was still unknown to her. And what they were doing in the forest, too. Things would certainly be easier if there wasn't a language barrier between them. And although those were very concerning matters, the main reason why she wanted to be able to communicate right now was just so that she could ask them for some food and water. She was sure they had plenty, and even if they ran out of it, she was also sure they would have no problem hunting animals for cooking. Surely those muscled arms had to be worth something apart from looking insanely attractive...and killing other beings.

At least Gavriel had given her a chair for her to sit. He had always been described as a gentleman in the books, and his attitude and gentler tone were only proof of that. But Isabella couldn't shake the thought that a gentleman would also offer her some food. Especially with her deadly looks. Her aching stomach and the delicious scent in the air were almost suffocating. Like dry earth and rain. She needed it desperately. The awkward silence that reigned in their tent was only helping to drive her more crazily desperate. So she concluded to herself that she would be given food, or at least try to.

Isabella opened her mouth to speak, all the males in the room went tense, oddly expectant of what she had to say. She almost laughed at the sight of them. All muscles tensed, shoulders brought closer to their necks. And Lorcan, who had let his hair down and had some of it covering his front, actually looked as if he had no neck. Just some big guy. She really almost laughed at her thought then. But she feared she might look crazy if she did so. Since her appearance already betrayed her there.

She considered speaking, but it would be pointless so she closed her mouth and brought one of her hands to her stomach. Surely mimicking should be enough. They all opened their eyes wide in surprise, Isabella heard Fenrys speaking, asking them something and she could have sworn he stuttered. Nobody moved or spoke but Lorcan, who flared his nostrils and gave Fenrys a sharp answer. Gavriel said something too and moved a little closer to her. He brought both of his arms together, as if holding a baby. Isabella's eyes almost popped out of her face due to how wide she had opened them. She started shaking her head.

Fenrys turned to his side and motioned with his hands as if he had a pregnant belly and then did a question mark in the air.

"No!" she said, and made a negative cross with her hands. "No baby"

They all sighed in unison, clearly relieved. She imagined that taking care of a pregnant woman was obviously out of their comfort zone. She tried to explain herself again. This time, she pretended she was cutting a piece of meat and then eating it with an invisible knife and fork. Fenrys let out a long "oooohhhh" and proceeded to laugh. Lorcan brought the palm of his hand to his face as an expression of incredulity. Rowan grumbled something in response, as if agreeing with him. Gavriel smiled at her and walked out of the tent, hopefully he had gone looking for food.

A couple of minutes later, a set of footsteps entered the tent and a mouth-watering smell filled the air. Gavriel had brought a plate full of potatoes and a piece of meat in one hand and a canteen in the other. He set everything up on the only table, careless of the papers scattered on it and motioned for her to get closer.

She almost crawled to the table. She couldn't remember when the last time she had been offered a full plate of food. She could have cried. She had been so caught up with the idea of food that she didn't notice she hadn't carried her chair with her to sit. But she had already started digging into the food. She moaned after taking the first bite, it was the tastiest piece of cooking she had ever tried. She ate bite after bite, she wasn't even sure she was swallowing; it all went directly through her throat. She had been famished.