Chapter 6

A pained grunt followed by watery cough echoes down the hall of the eerie hospital. He always hated this place, but there's no way he can stop coming here. After all, special someone is waiting for him with her eyes wide open and arms out. Though those might be only a wistful and hopeful thought that he had always thought of whenever he returns from the tournaments and the self-trainings that he had imposed on himself. He just started not long ago, but the money was enough to sustain both himself and the hospital fees for a few months.

But it was enough for the long term.

He knew that.

Despite being a novice in the sparing ring, he will do anything to keep her alive.

No matter what.

Anything just for her...

He would even trade the world- no, make the world a better place for her; where there'll be no more pain and suffering. A world where everyone was treated as equal.

He staggered closer to the sliding door. He could feel the coldness of the steel handle contacting his rough, calloused hand. He could rest now, once he's by her side. Although, his time with her is shorter than usual. He did not expect the fight would drag too long; he even endured more damages than he had expected. Next time, he won't underestimate his opponents.

Never again.

The door slides open. His smile dropped as he saw a girl with needles attached to her arms. It was hooked to a bag of blood and a bag of clear liquid – to what he learned, a result of a frequent visitor to the hospital, as Sodium Chloride – hovering above her head.

She was extremely small next to his physique.

His brows furrowed, opening his bruised mouth to speak. "You're not Mi-"

His head suddenly feels light. No, it was heavy. He's falling, but why?

"Oni-san?!" The girl exclaimed in alarm. Ripping her needles out, causing the blood to drip all over the white tiles and splatter on the cheap wallpaper.

He suddenly caught a glimpse of his special person. A soft smile graced his face, it was as if he was relieved from all the weight that he had carried on his shoulder.

"You're... awake..." His thick and long lashes fluttered close as he slipped into the peaceful slumber. He was happy to see her well and full of life. There's nothing more he could ask for.

"-Wake up! Oni-san?!" Hmm, she sounds worried. But her voice slowly drowned out as he falls deeper into the darkness.

-o-

A sharp pain pierced through his head, jolting him up from his slumber. His chest rattles as he forced out dry coughs. He squinted his eyes at the glaring light, his eyes feel so sensitive right now. His eyes stung causing him to tear up a bit, but his whole body was not faring any better. The ringing noise wasn't going to stop any soon no matter how hard he tried to disrupt it.

His hands slapped against his ears, clasping harshly against his sickly pale skin.

His overgrown hair started to stick to his brows from how sweaty he had become. Where am I? No, this is not the time to worry about himself. Where's his sister?

He tried to climb out of his bed, but to only be stopped by a girl. "You're seriously injured."

Her soft hand grasped against his shoulder, pushing him back into the bed. He watched the girl as she retreated from him and pulled out a flashlight from a white box. She returned to her former position and drew her hand to touch the boy's face. "Look into the light..." She softly whispered. He was too dazed and drowsy to comprehend his situation. There's no room to make a clear judgment and decision; he just followed what the girl had told him. The girl peers closer to his face – his neck suddenly became hot and tight – She observed him for half a minute before pulling back (s/t/a/y/) and gave a knowing nod to herself.