Chapter 32

Gaston

I debated what I wanted to do next: get a combo, rob Le Fou of his remaining food, or rescue Belle. It was a really close call between the combo and saving Belle. I am a much nicer human when my stomach is full.  My stomach growled again, remaining me of the fact that I had skipped a meal or two.  I tried my hardest to make sure I ate throughout the day.  I usually had a protein shake or some such shit but Belle ruined all that along with my nice shoes.

One bite I told myself. One damn tiny bite and maybe a sip of soda. That's all I wanted, just a bite and then I would be the good cop I knew I was. I would rescue Belle and she would be swayed by my manly charms. Okay, I probably should save her first, it was the right thing to do but damn I was hungry. Le Fou was acting like he didn't have a care in the world as he took another bite out of his subway sandwich. My stomach rumbled again. Belle, save Belle and then food. I was making a promise to my empty stomach.

As I approached the table, Le Fou smiled and said "Dude, did you know we get 50% off if we are on duty. " He tore another bite out of his sandwich. "God this is delicious." He was acting like he was part of a paid info commercial. I watched him toss his sandwich back onto the wrapper and take a swig from his soda cup.

I cleared my throat and silently told myself to stop eyeballing his damn sandwich. Le Fou snapped his head up. "Is something wrong? "

"I don't know man, what could possibly be wrong?' I snarled.

Fuck, my patience was gone. I really had enough today. It wasn't that long ago when I thought my job was the best. That everyone wished they could be me. Now I wanted the day to be over with and anyone who wanted my damn badge could have it. I didn't care anymore. My stomach second that thought. Belle, Belle, Belle, save Belle and then eat.

Le Fou, looked worried. I relished seeing that look on him. He wasn't quite as stupid as most people in the department believed. He knew when to be scared and when to be worried what he didn't get was that Claudia wasn't worth the time of day.

"Is there a robbery?"

I smirked; my foot was going to be up his ass shortly.

"NOOOO" I said sarcastically.

Le Fou looked nervously around the small dining area of Subway. He glanced back at me and then looked at the assistant manager sitting there eating like he didn't have a care in the world. It didn't seem to faze the assistant manager that one of his employees was sitting in a cop car. He also didn't see anything wrong with having lunch with said officer.

"You're not mad that I took a break, are you?" He gulped.

"That depends on what you did before you took your break," I snarled.

Le Fou tugged nervously at his collar, the very same collar I was just about to yank him by.

"Yo, I am only taking a lunch man, relax."

"Should I relax before or after the paramedics treat Belle?"

Le Fou winced at my comment.

"Oh, shit man," Chaz exclaimed.

"That's why I was trying to find you, man. You need to let Belle out. Her shift starts in 5 minutes."

I looked at the assistant manager. Was he serious?

Chaz looked at his cheap watch and winced, "Damn, where did the time go? She should have clocked in ten minutes ago. I am going to have to write her up for being late."

"Late?" I growled. What the fuck was wrong with him.

Chaz nodded his head, "Sadly it's going to affect her review so she will probably lose out on her wage increase."

"Wage increase? How much money does the company allow?" I couldn't help myself. I was wondering what this hellish place would consider a good incentive.

Chaz looked nervously around the room. "I probably shouldn't be telling you this," he said nervously as he once again checked out the small dining area of Subway. Jesus Christ, he was acting like he was a damn secret agent about to impart counterintelligence in a public venue.

"Our top employees get a twenty-five-cent increase," Chaz said this as though it was something to be proud of. "Please don't tell anyone I told you."

"Twenty-five cents. Do you know what the cost of living is today?" I couldn't help myself.

Chaz looked very nervous. He should be. "Twenty-five cents is not even a drop in the bucket, that is insulting," I stated.

"Hey man, it's comparable to every other company around." Chaz insisted.

"Belle is not working today." I snarled. I honestly believed that girl needed a damn keeper.

"Hey, Belle agreed to cover the shift if I found Officer Le Fou," Chaz explained.

"I need her to work. We are seriously short and I need her to be restocking the groceries."

"IF YOU FOUND LE FOU" I practically shouted Practically, no I know I shouted that out loud. Everyone in Subway was looking at me. I could tell they sort of thought I was unhinged. Sadly, it wasn't one of those "I want to be Gaston "moments.

"Well, I found him," Chaz stated needlessly.

"Was that before or after he got lunch?" I snarled.

Chaz looked very nervous, and he should be nervous. I was in a foul mood.

"I didn't force her to cover the shift." He must have realized that I did not believe him.

"She needs the money. I was just helping her," He gulped. Le Fou nodded his head in agreement, clearly believing nothing was wrong.

"What the hell are you two doing? GO GET HER OUT NOW." I roared. I am sure everyone probably thought I was mental. I never shouted. I was the king of calm until today. What the hell had happened to me?

Le Fou scrambled out of his chair, his moves were less than smooth. His chair fell to the floor as he rushed out of the small dining area. I turned my eyes on the other asshole.

"She won't be in today. Let me also make it clear that if I find out she was written up, I will be making some phone calls to the city code enforcement department. Are we clear?"

Chaz nodded his head.

I grabbed the rest of Le Fou's sandwich and stuffed it in my mouth. What can I say except that I was really hungry? I gave one last dirty look to Chaz, turned around, and took off after Le Fou. I should have grabbed his damn drink too, but it was too late now. Oh well, I would rescue the chic and then eat.