I'm Still Writing Things

"Any day now."

Laying across the couch she had her swollen feet resting in his lap. As they were being kneaded in his palms, she began to smile.

"I think you're losing track of time. Still have three months to go."

Her hand glided across her round belly. The last seven months had flown by much quicker than she anticipated and they still hadn't made a decision.

"What are you thinking when it comes to names? You gave me a list and I've already told you that it's up to you."

"I know, but—"

"Prince. I know you've already decided and I'm sure it's something beautiful. I know I love it. What name have you decided on?"

"I was thinking Cleo."

"Like Cleopatra?"

"Yeah, but spelled K-L-E-I-Ó."

"Kleiṓ Kalani Nelson."

He shot her a look. "So you have been thinking of names."

"A little. I just thought it was pretty. It's Hawaiian. It means the heavens." She smiled as the meaning of her daughters name left her lips. "Glory from the heavens." She watched as his smile matched her own. "I must know though. Why a Greek name?"

"I didn't think you'd catch that," he chimed, applying more of the rub to her bottoms.

"With that spelling," she gave him a knowing look. In turn, he smirked knowing better to give the spelling. Raine took extreme pride in her heritage. He should have known the spelling would be a dead give away. "Why Greek?"

" A reminder of her ancestry. Of you."

"You're speaking like I'm going to die tomorrow."

"No," he replied. "Not trying to make it sound that way at all. I just— I guess I'm trying to prepare myself for this thing we have to end." He continued to relieve her swollen feet, moving up to her aching ankles. "I know he's been calling you."

"He's the father of my child. We have to speak," she countered, hoping he'd understand. "You don't see me going on about you working it out with Mayte."

"I'm not sure if it's really working honestly."

He shook his head, attempting to rid himself those thoughts. After the birth of their son, he tried to believe that it was God's decision. That it happened for a reason. Yet, when the second pregnancy failed, he blamed himself. He was certain Mayte thought he blamed her. He hadn't. He just couldn't bear to see her or come to terms with the fact that neither could give each other what they both wanted.

"You need to talk to her. It'll help you."

His brows rose momentarily. "I have and she always brings you up." He glanced her way before returning to his working hands. "That we should've never welcomed you. That it made me cheat."

Raine didn't bother to respond. She'd already assumed Mayte blamed her for all of it. What woman doesn't blame the mistress.

"I've tried to explain to her that it was never your fault, nor our intention for this to happen. She won't hear it so maybe it's not the right time to talk."

"She said she would let it go."

"I know. Let's not go there though."

Just like any other time one didn't want to speak of a touchy situation, they moved on to the next. Both were guilty of doing so. Another reason why they were so close. They were alike in more ways than one.