O N E

September, 1998

I've been locked here for months.

Barely any food nor water came through often and to top it all off, I spent my 18th birthday behind bars.

I wish I died in the war.

Maybe it would hurt less.

The Dementors came around less the more suicidal I became. They noted how sour my memories have been tasting lately.

They knew my memories had begun rotting.

They knew I just wanted to end it all, everything.

I knew that school had started up again. I wasn't planning on going back but I couldn't help but wonder if they were. My old friends.

The ones I ratted myself out to so long ago.

Well, not so long ago...

When it wasn't floods of tears, it was laughter. Manic, horrific laughter came from my lips a lot of the time. 

Today, it just happened to be laughter as I rocked myself back and forth. "It's been over five months," I threw my head back, hitting it repeatedly against the stone walls of the prison cell I was locked into.

I slammed my head against the wall again and then rested it in my knees. I felt the back of my head and there it was, a thick patch of blood.

"It's been five months," I repeated. "Five, can you believe that?"

None of the other people locked up have said anything to me. I've been rotting, going insane and took refuge in talking to myself.

"Oh! Since what, you ask?" I giggled again. "Since the war ended!"

My shaking laughter died out into trembling sobs.

"It's been over five months since they both left me," I concluded, my voice breaking. "But I'm alright! I'm okay. I got the Dementors! Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll accidentally suck the soul out of me next."

My sobs turned to laughter next. "Who likes eating souls?" I cackled. "I wonder what they taste like."

My fingers trembled as my hands went to the back of my head and felt the blood coating my head and drifting down my hair.

I brought my fingers in front of me. A thick coat of blood laced my fingertips. I stared at it.

"Kayden, look at me. Please."

He looked up at me, his brown eyes were glittering in tears and blood was running down his mouth as he coughed more blood up.

Through all of this, he forced a smile. "I guess we don't have time to argue now, do we?"

I winced at the memory and felt another stray tear fall down my cheek, tickling it slightly.

My hand had a mind of its own and went down to my prison robes, wiping the blood on the hem of them.

I couldn't bear to see his face in my mind anymore.

Happy thoughts, happy thoughts.

"Did you see how angry they looked?" I laughed, throwing my head back.