Maybe he remembered.

Maybe he remembered that night.

"Yes, I was in Ravenclaw. I'm good friends with Luna Lovegood, I'm sure you know her," She replied while sorting through a box.

"Oh yes I know her! Quite an odd one she is, but quite good fun!" He said quickly, saving himself.

"Yes everyone thinks she's odd, I'll admit she's different but she's the best person I know," She turned, eyeing him as George rolled up his sleeves.

She noticed for once he seemed flustered, clearly worried he had upset her. "You played Quidditch right?" Cassandra asked, changing the subject.

George immediately relaxed, his classic grin sneaking across his handsome face. "Yes and we were damn good! Hate to say it but we definitely kicked Ravenclaw's arse!" This took Cassandra back to the party, reminiscing about how this conversation had played out once before.

"Oh please, we kicked Gryffindor's arse all the time!" She replied, hoping her comment would somehow retrieve a lost memory, remind him of that party, their little play fight.

His chuckle rumbled deep in his chest, "Not a chance..." George said, voice low, his gaze staying on her.

Cassandra felt flames lick at the nape of her neck as they smiled at each other. He hadn't changed, he looked the same standing on that ladder as he looked sitting on that couch, holding her wrists.

The moment was perfect but it couldn't last. George turned away first, going back to work.

The butterflies fluttering deep in her stomach now wilted, somehow the moment was crashing down around her.

While all it was was a simple glance, it was a reminder. A reminder to Cassandra how one sided "their story" had been. How it would be. All "this" is is a delusional woman hoping her school girl crush maybe had felt something too, maybe just once.

Thankfully Fred had rushed into the room before Cassandra could spiral any further, telling them it was time to open shop. George hopped down from the ladder and pointed out Fred's undone tie and messy hair, the boys laughing as they left the storage room.

Following a deep breath, Cassandra left too.

_________

Cassandra busied herself during the afternoon, helping three boys after they had tested the Puking Pastilles, a product far too popular.

She had kept herself away from George, she couldn't handle being lost in her mind again.

Just a few minutes before closing, most everyone was gone, only a handful of customers left. She was working the register when George walked by, doing a double take. Cassandra could have sworn he was eyeing her uniform but, he scurried off.

She adjusted her orange tie and soothed down her plum cardigan before returning to her last few customers.

She was headed to the back to collect her bag when George cornered her in the office, lightly tapping her shoulder. She turned around, gazing upwards to him.

He was awfully close.

"Looks like I forgot to give you this," He said quietly, holding up a metallic 'W' pin. Cassandra noticed she was eye level with his matching pin, secured tightly on his tie.

He turned it over in his palm before placing it between his fingertips, taking off the back. Leaning over a little, George carefully clutched her tie, pulling it out from under her cardigan and bringing it to him slowly before placing the pin through it.

His hand came closer to her as he placed the back on the tie, clasping the pin together with the smallest 'click'.

He placed her tie back, his fingers slightly grazing over the metal for the smallest moment. He admired the pin before gazing up to her eyes.

They were dangerously close.

Cassandra felt her mouth become slightly agape but, she was too hypnotized to care.

Breaking the trance, he blinked a few times, his long eyelashes fluttering. He took a rushed step back, clearing his throat. Cassandra finally picked up her jaw, shallowing hard.

"Well there ya go, goodnight Cassandra," He stammered, dashing out of the room, scratching the back of his head.

Her heart was beating to the rhythm of the flashing red light on the pin.

What the hell was that?

Cassandra felt like she was on fire, sweat pooled on her palms before she wiped them on her pleated skirt. She repositioned her tie and gingerly brushed her fingertips where his had been.

She locked the shop, turning the corners of Diagon Alley. She strolled home, taking her time, knowing she needed to wipe the cheeky smile off her face before she returned.

Maybe hope wasn't lost after all.