CHAPTER 26

The night went on terribly. The familiar screeches and knockings against the Homestead’s walls sent shills down everyone’s spine. If what Gally said was true, the Grievers will be taking one of us tonight. One every night, until we’re gone. We all had the suspicion that this theory was true. It seemed believable and frightening.

Teresa and I stayed together, fear dripping from our systems. We were both worried for Thomas and Minho, and completely terrified from the monsters just outside. Newt kept on glancing at us every five minutes, and Chuck often smiled at me from across the room. He was beyond terrified as well. You could see it in his eyes.

The walls clicked from the Grievers tapping against it, and occasionally ramming their bodies against it. The Gladers jumped back when that happened. They knew we were here. But they didn’t want to get in just yet. They were searching for a weak spot where they can jam their claws through and grab hold of one of us, and dragging us out into the Maze.

“Floral...”, Teresa’s voice came out in the smallest whisper audible. “......What are they doing?”.

“They’re looking for a weak spot... hopefully a window or something”, I answered back in a small whisper.

It suddenly went silent, but no one moved. A small growl was heard from outside, before a Glader yelled out, jumping up from his place. Everyone snapped their heads towards him and he was suddenly being dragged along the floor. Without anyone noticing, one of the Griever’s claw had slid in through the walls, and grabbed hold of the Glader. Other boys panicked, making them jump forward and try to grab on to his hands, desperate to save him.

“Come on man! Hold on!”.

“Don’t let go!”.

Their voices caused a feeling to stir in my stomach. My eyes scanned over to the terrified Gladers, the broken bits of wood that lingered in the Homestead, the poor Glader holding on to his friends for his dear life. Everything caused a pile of guilt to build up in my stomach. I caused this. I’m apart of all this. This is..... my fault.

“Nooo!”, the Glader was reluctantly pulled out the Homestead, making the wall crumble again and the Griever appeared. It’s claw clamped around the boy, reminding me of the sight of Gally being taken away.

The Grievers then began to retreat, making their way back to the Maze. Gladers found this as an opportunity to go after the Grievers, hoping to get the Glader back. They ran out the Homestead, and stepped out into the night air. I followed after and saw Gladers were attacking a Griever, throwing jars of fire at it and jabbing spears into its skin. The Griever shrieked and hit away the Gladers, killing maybe two in the process. The Griever scurried back into the Maze, leaving us to wither in our failure of letting them take another Glader.

“Shuck me, this is bloody hopeless....”, I heard Newt mumble, running a hand down his face.

I spotted something on the floor, something black and out of place. It was among the Gladers feet, making me curious and walk over to it. Once I was in front of it, my eyes widened and the Gladers didn’t seem to realise it was there.

“Floral? What’s wrong?”, I heard Chuck ask from behind me, Teresa standing beside him.

I bent down and picked up the object, looking down at it in my hands. One of the Griever’s spikes had somehow been pulled out of its blubbery skin. Must of been when the Gladers were attacking it with everything they had. I held it in my hands, letting my guilt and sorrow get a hold of me.

“Wait Floral.... no don’t!”, Teresa yelled, but it was already too late.

I jabbed the spike into my stomach, making my breath hitch into my throat. My eyes widened as pain immediately shot out from the place I connected it into my skin. I slowly looked down and saw my hands holding the spike, before I pulled it out and let it drop to the ground. I seemed to follow it, as I fell backwards and on to my back. I heard many callings of my name, and blurry figures kneeled over me. I felt sweat start to trickle down my skin, before my falling eyelids closed and I was elapsed in a pit of agonising pain.

----

So many things hit me at once. So many memories that I was amazed to experience. Once the pain was over with, I was hit with several memories at once. Many included a lab with computers and technical machines I couldn’t identify. One memory started where several kids were sitting in front of computers, typing furiously with eyes clued to the screen. Their clothes were pure white and they were different cultures.

They were the Gladers.

I recognised many of them. Winston, Thomas, Newt. Ones that I see now are teenagers. They were performing some kind of test, and other people in lab coats were behind them, observing them. I spotted two young girls standing with the other people, watching with amazement.

“You think we will be doing that?”, the black haired girl asked. It was a young Teresa.

“Maybe.... Chancellor Paige said that we shouldn’t interact with these boys. We didn’t need to take the test today...”, the other blonde replied. It was.... me. We only looked 10, 12 at the most.

“Why are they doing this? Why are we the one’s to so special?”, Teresa asked, finally looking at the younger me with her blue eyes.

“We’re special.... apparently”, I answered.

The test finished and the boys sitting at the computers started to stand, before the people in lab coats said they could leave. They made their way out the room, chatting quietly amongst each other. Teresa and I watched them leave, before I caught eyes with one of them. A boy that stood tall amongst the others, and had his jet black hair gelled up into a spiky style.

Minho.

We kept eye contact, before he disappeared out the door, making me look down at the floor. This must have been the first time I met him. This must be the start of that relationship that Thomas talked about when he got stung.

“Teresa, Floral. Please come sit”, a woman called us over, gesturing to the chairs in front of her. She had blonde hair that was tied back into a neat bun, and she wore white plain dress with a small coat over it. Teresa and I walked over and sat down in front of the woman.

“You two, are very important to us”, the woman started. “You shall be working with us through the future trials, observing the subjects and making sure it runs smoothly. You are named the two pearls of WICKED, and that is how you shall stay. The Flare-infected worship you. You in particular Floral“.

I raised my eyes in small confusion. Flare-infected?

“I want you two to observe Group A when the trials begin, and you will soon join them. I know that it may seem complicated now, but you will soon understand that this is all necessary. But I don’t want you growing any feelings towards the subjects. Do I make myself clear?”, she asked, eyeing the both of us.

“Yes Chancellor Paige”, we both answered.

“Good”, she replied. “Now off you go. Rest time is near”.

The two girls got up and left the room together, seeming inseparable. We exited the room and started to talk outside the door, making sure to stay quiet.

“You think that they will really send us into the trials as well?”, I questioned.

“I’d say so. WICKED don’t seem to be joking right now”, Teresa replied, making me nod in agreement.

But my eyes suddenly were distracted from Teresa, and looked past her. Behind the white walls, were two heads poking out. I couldn’t particularly see from here, but I could make out that it was two of them, and they looked like they were from Group A.

“Don’t look now, but there’s two boys looking at us just down the hall”, I whispered while turning back to Teresa.

“Really? Who?”, she questioned, before ignoring my advisement and turned around to see the boys.

They seemed to panic before pulling their heads back around the corner, disappearing from our sight. I then recognised that one of them was the familiar spike head. Minho. The other had dark brown hair and hazel eyes. Thomas.

“Aren’t they part of Group A?”, Teresa asked.

“Yeah.... they are”, I answered, before the memory faded into another.

Then pain followed. Non-stop pain.