CHAPTER 32

Running into the Maze was truly exhilarating. Having all the Gladers running in a big group, turning down corridors and keeping up with the Runners. Minho hadn’t let go of my hand ever since I set foot into the Maze, and he was only jogging so that the group could keep up with him. He always looked back at me, to check if I was still there and holding up okay. I saw that Newt was hanging near the back, since his leg must have been slowing him down a little. Thomas was at the side of the group, making sure that everyone was okay and keeping up with each other. And Chuck was waddling along with him.

“You got enough water?”, Minho asked while puffing slightly.

“Even if I didn’t, it wouldn’t matter. We’ve come too far to go back to the Glade for just another refill”, I said with a hint of sarcasm.

“Just carin’ for you babe”, he said with a wink and a smirk. “Don’t want you passin’ out”.

“Are you really gonna start calling me babe now?”, I asked while raising an eyebrow.

“What, you don’t like it?”, Minho said while turning his head towards me. “Would you rather I call you darlin’? Cupcake? Munchkin?”.

“Hmmm babe’s fine...”, I said, cringing at the other cheesy names he suggested. A chuckle erupted from him and he squeezed my hand.

“How ‘bout sweetheart?”, he suggested again, but this one, he didn’t mean jokingly. I couldn’t help but smile, before taking the name into my mind to stay.

“Okay. You can say that”, I agreed, making Minho grin his toothy smile.

“Cool”, he answered. “You can call me anythin’ you want”.

“Okay, you can be shuckface”.

“Hell no!”, he shot back, making a disgusted face. “Call me baby. Or somethin’ sexy. Oooh how ‘bout hot stuff?”.

“Minho”, I stopped him, making him quieten down. “Can’t I just call you by your name?”.

“Fine”, he grumbled. “But I’m still callin’ you sweetheart”.

“I’m surprisingly okay with that”, I said before slowing down my pace.

We were on the last turn that led to the Cliff, and the group was stopped by Minho. We all stood back against the wall, while Minho peeked his head around the corner. Everyone stayed silent, only light puffs were heard from the Gladers. Minho’s head came right back around, the colour draining from his face and eyes.

“There’s shuckin’ heaps of ‘em”, he stated to the group, making the rest of us pale to sheets of paper.

“We shouldn’t have come”, Alby mumbled, going back to his grumpy self. He looked extremely frightened.

“Look it’s okay”, I said, making them turn to me. “We can just go back to the Glade-“.

I was cut off by the familiar clicking and whirling, making the Gladers snap their heads down the corridor that we arrived down. More Grievers appeared, blocking our way of escape. The corridor that was in front of us suddenly was crowded as well with the monstrous Grievers.

“Holy..... shuck”, Thomas muttered, saying what were all thinking.

I stepped back from fear, crashing back into Minho’s front. I could hear his heart beating quick and loud, confirming my suspicions of him being scared. His hand was sweating around mine, before his arm came out in front of me. Minho pushed me back behind him, covering me with his buff, tall figure.

“Minho.... what do we do?”, I squeaked, my voice coming out in short puffs of whispers.

Minho didn’t answer, as his face turned serious and he gulped down his fear. He turned his head and I followed his gaze, to see Alby and Newt were standing there with shock-stricken faces. Thomas appeared beside them, looking at them with slight confusion.

“One a night....”, I heard Alby mumble. “Maybe they’ll let us pass..... if they stick to the motto one a night”.

“Alby....”, Newt spoke up. “Don’t you dare..... don’t do it”.

Alby glanced at Newt with a sympathetic look, before meeting eyes to me. He gave me a knowing look. The one that was hard, yet meant something. He was telling me to stay put. To not interfere this time. He turned around, before running towards one of the corridors. Even the Grievers stopped for a second, shocked by Alby’s actions. But they then resumed their terrifying posture, and scurry towards Alby to feast on him.

“ALBY!”, Newt yelled, trying to run forward. But Thomas and Minho held him back, looking away as the Grievers began to tear Alby apart. I shut my eyes, feeling my stomach drop into my butt.

Alby sacrificed himself for us. If the Grievers stuck to their plan of picking us off one by one, they won’t hurt us unless one was killed. But I felt the guilt build up inside of me. I should of been the one to jump forward. I helped the Creators design the Maze. I’m the enemy.

“I can’t believe..... he just did that”, Newt said, his eyes wide and watering slightly. I didn’t really know the extent of Newt and Alby’s friendship, but I predict they were the best of friends than anyone else in the Glade. Besides, they were one of the first people to be sent through the Box.

“He sacrificed himself so we could get through”, Minho said, before standing up straight at letting go of Newt. “And must take the opportunity now”.

“How can you be so bloody heartless?!”, Newt yelled, glaring at the Minho who stood firmly in front of me. “Alby was sick and scared! Can’t you take a bloody minute to at least give him-“.

“What the shuck do you expect us to do Newt?!”, Minho yelled, feeling anger build up. “Hold a shuckin’ funeral for him?! We don’t have the time! Floral needs to get to the computer and put the code in, so we can get out! Many more have died, we’ll cry for ‘em later”.

Newt’s eyes softened to their brown kindness, and he looked slightly guilty for his outburst. Yes it’s true that we don’t have time to weep and cry for Alby, but I don’t think Minho quite realises all the stuff that Newt’s gone through, then to only have Alby there to comfort him. I caught eyes with Newt, before I sent him a sympathetic smile. I know it wasn’t much, but he turned it with a small thankful one.

“Teresa, Floral and Chuck can try and get into the Grievers hole”, Minho started instructing. “We fight off any Grievers that try and get to ‘em, agreed shanks?”.

A few murmurs of agreements, before we all turned and faced the beasts waiting there. I stood behind Minho, who took a fighting/protective stance in front of me. It was only when Minho yelled, ‘NOW!’, that the Grievers ran forward with shrieks.

Alby’s sacrifice was for nothing. They’re still going to kill us.