CHAPTER 24

Newt arrived at the Mapping hut with a box full of pieces of paper. He heaved them up and put them on the table, before huffing out in relief. We all walked forward and looked in the box, scanning our eyes over the 730 maps.

“Bloody hell those are shuck heavy!”, Newt whined, rolling his shoulder back.

“What do you expect from 730 maps?”, Thomas asked with a shrug. Newt glared at him before going back to silently whining.

“So what do you shanks and shankettes propose we do?”, Minho asked while looking at everyone of us.

“Study the hell out of them”, I answered. “They maps have to mean something. The Maze has to lead to at least something”.

“Alright, that’s the best we got”, Thomas spoke up from beside Teresa. “I say that half of us study these, while the other half goes into the Maze”.

“What?”, Teresa asked in disbelief. “Your still gonna go out there?”.

“You’re gonna leave the other half to do all the studying?”, I questioned as well, making Thomas appear shocked at us and suddenly become nervous.

“I-I thought that’s what was the plan was...”, he said, his eyes flickering between Teresa and I.

“Tommy’s right”, Newt stated, making us turn to him. “We can’t afford to miss a day of runnin’. Not now”.

“I vote that the girls stay here while Thomas and I go into the Maze for the night”, Minho said while lifting a hand in the air.

“I agree”, Thomas agreed.

“Woah woah hold on. I’m a Runner too”, I piped up.

“You callin’ me a girl?”, Newt said with a hurt expression.

“You’re going out at night?”, Teresa asked after.

Minho sighed and ran a hand down his face, over-whelmed all the questions. It wasn’t fair for them to go out there and leave us here to do alllll these maps. Plus, like Teresa said, I don’t think it’s a good idea to go out at night.

“Is everythin’ I say goin’ to be questioned and fought against?”, Minho asked with a tired tone.

“Well they’re usually stupid things, so yeah”, I answered, making Newt and Thomas snigger. Minho huffed while narrowing his eyes at me, before pointing a finger at him.

“You’re lucky I love you so much”, he mumbled, before turning back to the full group. “Then what do you guys want to do?”.

“I say that the guys stay here and help us with the maps, and no one goes back out there”, Teresa answered while gesturing to me and herself.

“I agree on that”, I said, making all three guys groan.

“Someone needs to go into the Maze”, Newt said, leaning his hands on the table. “Maybe somethin’ changed out there from the Grievers. Even though stayin’ out there at night is dangerous, maybe the Grievers won’t be there if they’re in the Glade”.

“Fine then”, I said with a huff, knowing Teresa and I weren’t going to win. “But Newt stays here with us to help”.

“That sounds like a shuckin’ great idea”.

“Yep”.

“Hold on! I don’t particularly like the idea of stayin’ here with the girls”, Newt interjected, looking at all of us with a worried look.

“Hey dude”, Minho spoke to Newt. “These girlies aren’t goin’ to be able to handle all these maps by themselves. They need a guy’s intuition”.

“Bloody hell, why am I always the one to be with the girls....”, Newt mumbled under his breath while crossing his arms over his chest in a pout.

“Ayye don’t be so down Newt”, Thomas said while ruffling his blonde hair. “You have the job of keepin’ the special darlings of the Glade safe”.

“Oh yes”, Newt said while smacking away Thomas’s hand. “Because I’d love to spend my time protectin' your girlfriends”.

“Girlfriend?”, Thomas asked while going red. “It’s not like that! Teresa and I aren’t a thing!”.

“Whatever”, Newt replied with a shrug before pulling out some maps and sat down on the ground, looking through them.

----

I wanted to see Minho off into the Maze, since I was incredibly worried about him. He’ll be gone for the rest of the day and night, so I wanted make sure that he was prepared and would swear to stay safe.

“You’ve got enough water?”, I asked while standing in front of him.

“Yep, three gallons of”, he said with a roll of the eyes.

“I just want you to come back alive”, I stated, making Minho soften and put on a lazy smile.

“I know, and I appreciate that”, he replied. “You’re the one that needs to stay safe”.

“Please, I’ll be fine here”, I said while sniggering, but Minho turned serious without a smile.

“I’m serious Floral”, he started. “It only takes a Griever to get a hold of you, and you’re gone forever. Please just.... stay in the Homestead. Stay safe for me okay?”.

“..............I will, don’t worry”, I replied, putting a smile on my face to encourage him that I understood.

“Good that”, Minho replied, before he leaned in and kissed me softly on the lips. He took my small hands into his and closed his eyes, softly moving his lips against mine. I didn’t put my hands around his neck, and he didn’t put his arms around my arms. We didn’t need that. We just kissed while our hands were enlaced together.

“Come on Minho, we gotta go”, Thomas said, making the two of pull away. Minho glanced back and nodded, before turning back to me.

“I’ll see you tomorrow”, he stated, before pressing his lips on my forehead. He then turned on his heels and ran into the first corridor with Thomas, before turning to first corner and disappearing.

“It’s okay Floral”, a voice said behind me, making me turn around. It was Chuck, standing behind me with a light smile. “Minho knows what he’s doin’. He’ll come back safe with Thomas”.

“.... Thanks Chuck”, I said while smiling back, before turning fully around and walking back to the Mapping hut.

When I walked in, I found Newt and Teresa on the floor, looking over the many many maps surrounding them. They looked tired already, but kept working.

“What section should I start with?”, I asked while walking over to the box on the table.

“Go with 2”, Teresa called out, not taking her eyes off the papers. “Newt’s doing 8 and I’m doing 5”.

“We’ll swap for others in an hour”, Newt murmured. I replied with an ‘ok’ and took out the first week of section 2.

I remember Minho saying to me that the same pattern repeated every week. Ever since they started mapping, it had always stayed the same. But maybe that could mean something. Maybe the pattern means something to help us get out of here.

Maybe we could escape with the help of the maps.