CHAPTER 18

The stairs seemed to go on forever. I can’t say that I wasn’t frightened. I knew nothing of this girl, yet she seemed to know me. Who knows what she’ll do once she sees me.

I soon opened the small door that led up to the top platform, and stepped up so my top half was visible. I was immediately greeted with a machete stuck out towards my face. I jolted back and nearly slipped off the steps I was standing on. The girl was standing there, her bright blue eyes piercing through mine.

“Woah okay... just calm down okay?”, I said while slowly stepping up the ladder and on to the platform. Her machete stayed pointed at me, threatening to stab me at any second.

“I won’t hurt you”, I stated. “I just want to stay”.

“What is this place?”, she asked. “Why am I here? Why can’t I remember anything?”.

“I don’t know. None of us do. We know nothing more than you do about why we’re here”, I said while staying at a safe distance from her. She was silent for a few seconds, before talking again and lowering her machete at the slightest.

“You’re Floral.... right?”, she asked.

“Yeah.... you already seem to know that”, I said, looking at her suspiciously. “Can you tell me your name?”.

“Teresa..... That’s all I remember”, she said.

“Okay Teresa.... can you tell me how you know me?”, I asked, sitting down cross-legged on the wooden ground.

Teresa seemed to eye me up and down, hesitating to talk. Her raven hair slightly waved with the wind, showing her round face and what seemed like beautiful skin. Her blue eyes contrasted well with her hair and skin type.

“You seem like family....”.

“Huh?”, I asked, confused at what she said. “I ‘seem’ like family?”.

“Yeah.... I don’t know why. But when I saw you.... I knew you were somehow important.... like family”, Teresa explained. “Is that weird? Has anyone else here felt that?”.

“No.... none of us knew each other at all”, I replied, looking down thoughtfully.

I remember when Thomas went through the Changing and said that he remembered Minho and I. How he said that we were in a relationship before we came here. And now we’re together again, old feelings coming to the surface. Maybe it could be same for Teresa and I. Like she said, I seem like family to her. So maybe we were family before we were sent here.

“What’s that on your arm?”, I asked, pointing to her right arm where something was written in black. It was small letters, but I couldn’t see from here.

“I don’t know. When I woke up, I just wrote it on my arm. I don’t know what it means”, she said with a shrug and looked down at it.

“May I see?”, I asked. She nodded and crawled over, before giving me her arm. In bold letters, was written,

‘WICKED is good’.

“Why did you write that?”, I asked, turning to look back up at her.

“I don’t know. It was the first thing I thought.... so I just randomly wrote it”, she stated, another shoulder shrug.

“WICKED is what’s written on all our supplies....”, I stated. “We think that they are the ones who sent us here”.

“So.... apparently the people who sent us are good?”, Teresa asked.

“I don’t know, we’re not clear on anything right now”, I stated, before letting go of her arm.

“Floral!”.