Back to Hogwarts

Today was the day the Hogwarts letters came. 

Everyone at Potter Manor, which for the first time in what seemed like forever were just the Potters, was fast asleep. They slept silently and peacefully. Even Nyx was sleeping peacefully, completely unbothered. No one faced nightmares. Not even Nova who feared one of her enemies breaking out of jail and targeting her family. Not even Harry who would wake up in cold sweat, only calming down once he saw his children asleep in their room, once he saw his wife next to him. 

A loud and high pitch scream broke the calm. 

Harry Potter fell out of his bed with a loud thump while his wife, with inhuman agility, launched herself from their bed with her wand at the ready. 

"You take Ruby and Lily," Nova whispered motioning towards the rooms. "I'll get the twins and Teddy."

Harry, after pushing his glasses up his nose, crept down the hallway. The first room was their youngest, Lily. Against popular belief, her favorite flower was actually daisies. Her room showed nothing less than her immense Gryffindor pride. Posters of her mother, when she was a chaser for the Puddlemere United team and her time now as Head Auror, hung proudly upon the wall. Pictures of her and her siblings could be seen all over her room. A picture of her and Harry sat on her nightstand.

Much like her Uncle Ron, she could sleep through anything. 

"Dad," a voice called from the doorway. 

Harry spun around to see his twenty-four-year-old adoptive son, Teddy Lupin. His blue hair was splayed in all directions, but his Lupin honey eyes were focused. 

"Who screamed?" Teddy whispered. 

"I dunno-" 

Another scream sounded. 

James and Jade Potter woke up at the early hours of dawn, awaiting their letters. They knew neither of them was to be prefect, seeing as those were given in the fifth year and Minnie knew better to give a Lupin-Black-Potter offspring a prefect badge, especially after Remus Lupin, who was the worst prefect in Hogwarts history. 

Jade happily snacked on her chocolate while her twin satisfied powdered donuts; cravings they inherited from their grandfathers. 

When the letters arrived, it startled the twins. This leads them both to scream. 

Once they stopped screaming they rushed to their letters, discarding anything else, desperately searching for theirs. 

When Jade opened her brothers (it was a tradition the twins would open the other's letter), another scream fell from her lips. 

When Harry and Nova got downstairs, their eyes were lit with fire. Their jaws were set and their wands were ready. Harry still had a massive bedhead, but that didn't appear to bother him. Nova's caramel hair fell around her shoulders perfectly. Teddy wasn't far behind them. 

It was at that moment did James and Jade realize their parents were more than their mum and dad. They knew this before, but it was moments like this did it really settle in that their Dad defeated Voldemort, that he is a war veteran, not just the Defense Against the Dark Arts professor. It was moments like this did they realize their brother was an Auror. That their mother, despite being easy-going and fun-loving, had a past worse than their fathers. That their mother was a badass that ran the Auror Department. 

"There better be a national chocolate shortage in that letter," Nova breathed out in relief as she lowered her wand. 

"Sorry, Mum," Jade said sheepishly. 

"You wake me up. There better be chocolate." Teddy snatched Jade's abandoned chocolate. 

"I mean...they're definitely Remmy's," James snorted.