39

Put away those thoughts
Follow your instincts

"With me?" Yeonjun questioned, raising a hand that pointed at himself and she nodded, "Yes, you"

"Now?" Yeonjun asked, briefly glancing at his wrist watch and at the black file, "Yeah, now" Soyoung insisted, tapping her index finger on the wooden table.

"Uh, well," He walked over to the other side, reaching onto the file and a few other papers, "I have got to meet someone right now—" He broke off, delving in his pocket for the phone that buzzed.

"Did he arrive?" He pressed the phone in between his ear and raised shoulder, balancing the files and paper on his folded arms, rearranging the sequence of papers.

"Yeah, I'll be there in a few" He nodded to himself, now holding the phone to his ear with his free hand, "I don't care, he has to come there alone- by himself. We agreed on this in prior, don't make me remind you again" His voice was authoritative and stern, eyes roaming around as he busied himself in paying attention to the speaker.

Soyoung stayed silent, letting him have his conversation with the person on the other side, patiently waiting for the boy.

Yeonjun slid the phone back in his pocket, eyes falling onto the girl and before he could say anything, Soyoung interjected, "I won't take much of your time, I promise" She uttered out, attempting to convince him.

"An inquiry or something to brief?" He asked and the girl furrowed her brows in confusion before deciphering what those words meant, "Give and take, I guess".

Yeonjun exhaled, placing his file down on the table and taking a seat diagonal to the girl, "You have two minutes, Soyoung. Make it quick" He said, slipping on his glasses and flipping through the sheets.

"Can you find my mother?" Her question made him pause but he didn't speak anything in particular, "I'm guessing you know—"

"I'm aware" He interjected with a short wave of his hand, "And you expect me to search for her when the possibility is so broad?" His eyebrow raised, squinting his eyes at her with a look on his face that could easily be received as 'Are you dumb or dumb?'.

"If you could get your hands on a mafia gang, this should be nothing, right?" She asked, leaning forward, desperate to convince him.

"Also, there's no way she would leave Seoul, she can't either" She explained and the boy sighed, turning to face her with his dark brown eyes staring at her through his glasses that stood on the bridge of his nose.

"Soyoung, she left Seoul" His words took her by surprise, "What?" He nodded in confirmation, "Lee Eunji, late forties, right?" He asked, focusing back on his file and there was a pause, the only sound being that of the papers softly riffling in between his fingers.

Soyoung was taken aback, mouth agape, wondering how he was so spot on about the information.

Yeonjun didn't await her response, the expression her face held spoke instead, "Your mother left Seoul, yesterday, at 8 in the morning" He informed- tone placid, barely bothering about what slipped his mouth and her breath hitched, words struck in her throat, aghast.