I opened my mouth, determined to bold face lie through my teeth. To hide my shame and not admit that he had caught me on a moderately decent day. To do something to regain some of the control I had lost ever since Aiden had become my bodyguard that morning. But before I could answer, he turned away. "I can see that you aren't sure. When you have a good lie ready, you can try to convince me."

I all but deflated like a balloon. He took my breath away, but not in a sexy kind of way. Because that would be every girl's dream. And this was a freaking nightmare. No, he did it like when the wind gets knocked out of you because you just got sucker punched. Sure he was attractive, but he was a jerk. He was an attractive jerk sucker puncher.

An attractive jerk sucker puncher that swept through my apartment, taking in my unorganized mountain of books on my nightstand, the sticky notes of encouragement I left for myself on the fridge, my half-finished scarf I had promised myself I'd finish two years ago, my half-empty box of unicorn cereal (and the only food I had in the house) and my large collection of flannel shirts and used mugs that sat on nearly every potential surface. I really should have cleaned.

"No one's here," Aiden announced moving back to the door where I had been watching him silently. I nodded to have something productive to respond with.

"I'll be right outside your door," Aiden continued walking past me and stationing himself on the other side of my front door. "If anything happens, you call and I'll come."

I had a sudden urge to quote Kim Possible's "Call Me, Beep Me, if you Wanna Reach Me," song, but I didn't think he'd get the reference, or appreciate it, which was a shame. It was the perfect song for the moment.

"Did you decide if you remember whether your house was ransacked or not?" Aiden asked, a hint of humor in his tone as he shot me a glance over his shoulder.

I shrugged. "Would you believe a gang of raccoons broke in, made pasta, taught themselves how to read, ate all my food, and tried to knit a scarf?"

The edge of Aiden's lips quirked up slightly. But it was gone so fast that it didn't seem real. More like an illusion I had created to pat myself on the back for being clever. "No," he replied unamused as he adjusted his still perfectly pressed suit jacket and looked down at me with his sharp blue eyes.

"Shame. They put on quite the show." I grabbed the door handle and moved to close the door.

"We are leaving for your next event in three hours. I'll knock on your front door three times when it's time to go."

I rocked back on my heels, uncomfortable with the idea of having a guy standing right outside my door staring at each neighbor as they came and went. But there wasn't anything I could do about it at the moment. "I'd like to leave a little earlier so I can grab something to eat before the premier."

Unphased by the request, Aiden nodded. "Unicorn cereal not a balanced dinner?" He smiled. "See you in two and a half hours."

I blinked, surprised by the joke, and seaming determined to help end my torture, Aiden took the door handle from me and closed the door between us, leaving me staring at nothing, with a look of wide-eyed shock on my face.

I gave the door an irritated smile and like the classic dork that I was, and clearly having not embarrassed myself enough for one day, I shouted "Roger that!" through the door before I slumped onto my couch and threw a pillow over my face to hide from the world for a while.

---

Thank you for reading chapter six! I hope you are enjoying the story! Or are at least curious to see where it goes! Add this story to know when the next chapter drops!

UPDATE DAYS - A NEW CHAPTER EVERY FRIDAY!

What does Aiden think of Laliana? Does he think she's weird?

What kind of premier is Laliana going to?

CHAPTER QUESTION - What is your favorite thing to eat for breakfast?