Chapter Twenty-Four: The Prospal

Miriam swings Corky around in the early spring sunshine, their laughter infectious. Miriam’s blonde hair comes loose from its pins, the sun turning it to gold.

         A slim golden band is tucked safely into the pocket of my vest, handed down to my mother from her mother, then given to me when she passed. This past year, getting to know Miriam, falling in love with her and Corky both, has been the best time of my life.

       “Harry, Harry, come on, come play.” Corky calls enthusiastically to me.
            I join in their play, wrapping my arms around Miriam as Corky spins in a circle, his arms spread wide. I press my lips to her forehead, her cheek, she looks up at me, her blue eyes intense. “I love you Miriam, I want to marry you, be with you and Corky forever.” I get down on one knee, pull the gold band from my pocket, “Will you marry me, Miriam?”

         She sucks in a breath, her hands covering her mouth, “Harry…” tears fall down her cheeks, looking like tiny crystals on her smooth, pale skin. “Yes, yes, a million times yes!” She jumps into my arms, pressing her lips to mine. “I love you, too, Harry, forever.”

            I twirl her around in my arms, Corky jumping around us in excitement, “Me too, me too, Spin me too, Harry.”

            I pick Corky up, my arms still securely around Miriam, “How would you like to be a family, Corky? Would you like that? We can all live together, laugh together always.”

            Corky’s eyes light up, “And play together?”

            Miriam laughs, kissing her son on his cheek, “Yes, and play together,” She looks into my eyes, looping her arms around my neck she takes my lips with hers, taking my breath away. “Let’s not wait, let’s get married soon.”

            I smooth her hair back, the blond locks soft as silk. I nod, “Soon.”