He pushed himself off the lockers and began walking me to my first class. “Well Damon doesn’t want you to be bait.”

I frowned. “What did you want me to do, as bait?”

He smiled slightly. “It doesn’t matter. Just, if he comes to you…talk to him.”

I nodded. “I can do that. Was there anything else?”

“Yeah, see you at lunch.” He grinned.

I shook my head. “Nope, Damon’s coming in. I’m sorry to disappoint.”

He looked a little troubled. “Well then what am I supposed to do?”

I laughed and pushed him away. “Why don’t you see if you can run to Arizona and back?”

“Why would I do that?” He frowned.

I sighed and handed him a little card that I’d written for Ryan. “Can you hand this into the front office of the high school?”

He looked at it. “Who’s Ryan?”

“My friend, can you do it or not?” I challenged.

He nodded once and smiled before walking away.

Dear Ryan, all is well and I know you’re worrying about me but you shouldn’t because I’m completely fine. I’ve made new friends and I’m doing really great. I’m sorry if I don’t reply or anything but I’m just trying to forget about my old life.

Sincerely…Nika.

*

At lunch Damon surprised me with a kiss on the cheek from behind and when I looked up to meet his icy blue eyes I was glad that it was him and not Stefan, back from Arizona already. He took my hand in his and spun me around and when he let me go and I noticed the envy in Elena’s eyes.

“So are you ready to dance?” He whispered into my ear.

I giggled and nodded once. “I must ask how the hell you learnt though.”

He shrugged. “This was my era, I learnt it growing up.”

I smiled and pulled him into the corner and sat down on the seat before kicking off my shoes and putting my feet up on his lap. He started massaging them as he looked into my eyes. For a bit we just stared at each other, holding each other’s gaze.

His hand rubbed my leg softly. “What are you doing after school?”

I shrugged. “Nothing that I know of.”

He smirked. “I was thinking I could teach you some of the other things we did back in the eighteen hundreds.”

I grinned and bit my lip before nodding once. “That sounds like a plan, your house or mine?”

“Neither, I want to take you somewhere different.” He told me.

I got up and pulled him with me. “That sounds great.”

So after school I drove Caroline home and then snuck inside my bedroom to freshen up a little bit. I kept the leather pants on but I rid myself of the blazer and went for a looser, dark grey tank top. I tied my hair up into a loose pony tail and then pulled off all my jewelry except for my father’s necklace.

I heard the distinct honk of Damon’s sky blue 1969 Chevy Camaro and smiled before skipping out the front door and climbing into the passenger seat, glad I wore my hair up because the top was down.

“How was the rest of school?” He smiled.

I shrugged. “It was average.”

He chuckled and continued to drive along listening to some old CD.