16 - Out

Thomas POV

I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw Newt fall down the chute. He was fine. Covered in scratches and panting, but alive.

I had just opened the door with the code, thanks to Chuck. Once everyone was assembled, we walked through the door.

We were excited, but more nervous. Our numbers had dwindled... but we'd gotten out. Finally, out. Surprisingly no one seemed very much happy.

We walked into a room. It was dim, filled with glass screens and holographic images, some with letters and numbers on them. A1, A2, A3... A sudden memory triggered inside me. I walked over to a screen. It seemed so familiar...

"This is where I watched you," I turned and said to Newt. "I used to work here. This screen was yours. I watched you in the Glade, through a camera... I wanted to help you so badly, but I couldn't. And now here I am."

His eyes widened. The screen was now showing a scanned picture of a brain, different parts in red and yellow. I shook my head; I didn't know what that meant. I grazed my hand along the glass table, the smooth surface cold and distant. My hand hit a notepad; I picked it up.

A torn page. I suddenly remembered something. Quickly, I reached into Newt's hoodie pocket - which would be awkward except it wasn't - and took out the neatly folded note I had written him. I smoothed it out. It fit perfectly against the notebook tear.

"Cool..." I murmured to myself. So this confirmed it. I did work here. I sucked in a deep breath, returning the note to Newt. It felt to unnatural to me now, to be surrounded by all these technology. My fingers flew over the glass keyboard. As I hit a glowing red key, all the screens morphed to show a woman's face.

This caught the attention of everyone in the room. I was glad they hadn't caught the small exchange between Newt and I.

~TIMESKIPbecauseeveryoneknowswhatthevideoisabout~

When the video ended with the woman shooting herself, everyone was shocked. Behind a table, Newt reached for my hand. I held his hand in mine, grasping it tightly.

I looked around at the room, suddenly seeing it in a new light. Behind desks and windows, there were still, bloody bodies... I winced, turning away.

A series of dragging footprints caught my attention. I turned towards the door - Gally?! He was badly bruised, with blood flowing from a wound on his forehead. What was he doing here?

"Thomas, you've made a big mistake. The flare has already destroyed everything that's there. The real world is worse than you could ever imagine. Come with me, come back to the Maze," he says, panting. No one moved.

"No, Gally. Whatever the outside world is like, we'll brave it. We can't stay in the Maze forever," I tried to reason with him, but he seemed to grow angrier. His nostrils flared, a spark of insanity lighting up his eyes. Newt tightened his grip on my hand.

"He's been stung," Newt whispered.

"You just don't get it, do you?!" Gally said, his voice raising to a shout. "The Maze is our home. We belong in it! ALL OF US!" He started to shake. In his hand he raised a pistol. He pointed it at me.

I took a few steps back, raising my hands in front of me. My breathing was shallow, but I tried to negotiate with him. His arm shook badly.

I watched in slow motion as he pressed the trigger. The bullet flew - and a figure flew in front of me.

Newt's POV

I watched in horror as Chuck flew in front of Tommy, the bullet implanting itself inside his chest.

He fell onto the floor. Immediately Tommy rushed forward to him - but I knew it was too late. I felt limp; empty, like the air had just been sucked out of my lungs. I couldn't breath. I didn't realise how much Chuck meant to me, to all of us.

Tears streamed down my cheeks and I covered my mouth to muffle my sobs. Tommy was holding Chuck, screaming. He was saying something; I couldn't really hear what. I had never seen Tommy, usually so intellectual and collected, so broken. He held on to Chuck until his last breath.

Chuck fell limp in Tommy's arms, and together with him I felt like a part of my heart was gone as well.

Next Tommy turned to Gally - and in that split second I could see pure rage glowing in his eyes. I knew trouble was coming. Tommy pounced on Gally, and started punching, not caring. They fell towards the floor, but Gally made no move to defend himself.

Though I fully believe Gally had deserved the beating, I finally decided to pull Tommy away when Gally was unconscious. Tommy's fingers were bleeding. I wondered how much of that blood was his.

Even as I tried, Tommy was strong. He kept trying to kick or throw a punch on Gally's unconscious body. "Tommy, he's unconscious. Tommy. Listen to me." I said, trying to coax him out of his raging state. Finally he turned away and wrapped his arms around me, sobbing into my neck. I hugged him back, not knowing what to say.

Less than a minute late a bunch of guys in army suits came into the room. They told us they were going to take us to safe place. We believed them.

When they forced us to leave the place, Tommy struggled, shouting Chuck's name. It hurt me, literally, to see him like this. I bit my lip when I felt another sob coming up. I had to stay strong; I always had to.

I turned back to get one last look at Chuck before we left this place for good. He was gone, and so was Gally.

The people took us to a few helicopters. I took a smaller one with just Tommy and Minho. Finally, when we were away from everyone else, Tommy lay his head on my chest, sobbing. Silent tears rolled off my cheeks along with him, and I wrapped my arms around him holding him tightly.

I hated to see him like this. It was heartbreaking. "It's gonna be alright," I told him, my voice barely a whisper. "We're out now, Tommy. Chuck's in a better place. Shh, baby. Everything's gonna be alright..." My voice broke at the end as I held off a sob.

"Newt, Chuck's gone. I need you. Please don't g- go like him. Please Newt," Tommy said.

My breathing stopped short. I hadn't been expecting that. A fresh wave of sadness and sorrow filled my heart.

"I promise, Tommy. I promise."

A/N: omg i hope you like the ending!! It has so many feels :O so now we're offically at the end of the maze runner! Don't worry, I'm not ending this fic XD But there'll be slightly more changes from the original book from now on, so yay!

I was having mAJOR dylan/stiles feels just now from imagines/preferences ((should I make an imagines/preferences book?)) And i kept biting my lip/hand and digging my nails into my couch (I'm weird okay) and I just thought- if I was a werewolf so much stuff would be destroyed XD

I think im gonna start a QOTC (question of the chapter) thing now because i wanna get to know you guys more! <3

QOTC: do you watch teen wolf? If you do what season/episode are you on?

AOTC: yes and i love it ;) I just finished s3e23 so NO SPOILERS PLEASE ive had enough from instagram fan accs XD

Thanks for reading! Please vote if you liked this and comment your feedback! <3