Chapter 12 [New Job]

Start from the beginning

"No," and Phos fell face-first into the ground like a bag of bricks.

"What?! Why?!" everyone could merely sweatdrop at Phosphophyllite's childish antics and obnoxious whining.

"I don't do patrols," simply replied Y/N which nearly made Phos slam into the ground again, the crimson-haired male's bluntness was something hard to get used to even after hundreds of years of knowing him.

Kongo-sensei merely stared as the four Gems bickered between one another before having had enough of their banter, "Obisidian."

The four stopped their bickering as a girl with short black hair walked into the room, this was Obisidian, a cinnamon roll version of Bort and their weapons maker/blacksmith. She was responsible for every single weapon they used, which really was just one and that was the obsidian katana.

"Bring me your lightest sword," Obsidian happily did as instructed and handed Kongo-sensei a short and thin obsidian blade.

Phosphophyllite's eyes beamed like stars as she was handed the simple black katana, however, the moment she grasped the grip of the blade she, once again, nearly fell forward. The weight of the blade nearly dragged her down all by itself, but she managed to hold it in the air albeit very unsteady.

"As expected, only your legs have changed," commented Kongo-sensei who was just about to take the blade from Phosphophyllite.

"I'll train hard every day... Please..." she was barely capable of doing even practice swings, and this behaviour seemed to confuse Kongo-sensei.

"I've always found it strange. You are not cut out for battle, why are you so determined to be a part of the combat?" Kongo-sensei's question made sense if someone's body didn't allow them to do something they shouldn't do it.

And yet he found himself at a loss with Phosphophyllite who despite breaking after almost every battle she was involved in wanted to grasp the grip of a blade and fight. Y/N didn't find it as strange, he was already aware of Phosphophyllite's naive and somewhat self-sacrificing personality. 

"Eh? Isn't it obvious?" Phos thought that her reasoning was as clear as a day, and Y/N had to fight back an exaggerated sigh, "Well, duh. Because I love you sensei. And I want to help."

Now it was Phosphophyllite's turn to be blunt, and her straightforwardness made nearly everyone speechless. But Phosphophyllite's red-haired male friend already knew of her resolve, and it was quite noble if he had to say so himself. Yet, whenever he agreed with Phosphophyllite's conviction it felt... off to him. Like somebody forcing you to say something, saying he unconditionally loved Kongo-sensei left a strange taste in his mouth. It didn't feel natural... Almost as if the love everybody else felt for Kongo-sensei somehow completely missed Y/N. 

After a short while, Kongo-sensei collected his bearings and cleared his throat, "You still can't go into battle. But, considering Y/N does not do patrol duty, you may assist Amethyst."

"Really?!" Phos gave Kongo-sensei a billion-gigawatt smile, clearly happy that she finally gets to do her dream job.

"And while you are here, you may now give me your report on the ocean," unfortunately though, Phosphophyllite appeared to not have much memory left of the ocean.

"The ocean is big... and vast..." the mint-haired girl started to zone out a bit.

"If you're wondering I don't have much to report either. It was dark, and I was too busy looking for Phos to really get a good look at anything," Y/N casually trailed off, actually not being quite sure whether to inform Kongo-sensei of the two creatures he saw and fought, but it seems that he wouldn't even have the chance to do so.