4

NOVA

It was a failed attempt. The instant I opened my door, Matteo pushed his way in and closed the door behind him. Uncertain of what I had done to warrant his arrival, I shrunk back into the wall, trying to put as much distance between us as possible as the sickness threatened to come up at the mere sight of him.

"What's going on with you and Enzo?" he asked harshly, everything about Matteo screamed mean.

What is he talking about?

I probably look immensely dumb as my face conveys pure confusion, "Don't play coy with me, Ice princess. You know the rules. What the hell was that yesterday, during the meeting? Did you think I didn't see the glances you two were giving to each other?!"

He's getting louder and closer to me, and I begin to shake, God I hate that he's made me so weak, "N-n-nothing, it was n-n-nothing." I manage to whisper.

He lunges for me and grabs me by the throat and I try to pry his hands off me, but he's got size on his side, and I leave mere scratches on his wrist, as he cuts off my air supply.

"That's right, nothing, just like you are nothing like you always will be nothing. You are not worthy of breathing the same air as me, remember this. Say it. I want to hear you say it", he smirks wickedly, as spots begin to fill my vision.

"I'm. not. worthy," I choke it out, it's using the last of oxygen I can muster, and I worry that he really will kill me.

Satisfied he releases me and I collapse to the floor, holding my throat as I gasp and choke at the sudden influx of air.

"Remember that. And stay the fuck away from my friends, that includes my brother's friend's princess," after that, he leaves not bothering to shut my front door.

I'm still sitting against the wall with my legs curled up to my chest trying to even out my breathing and control the tears that have started when someone is kneeling next to me. I try to shrink even further into the wall, being too consumed by my panic attack to notice who is there or why.

Without any warning, the sickness that was threatening to come up returned and I had to dash for the bathroom. It was so easy for him to get in here, so easy for him to ruin my sanctuary. More vile comes up at this thought and I officially lose any food eaten the past two days. When my stomach is empty and I can't possibly throw up anymore, I remember that someone is here.

Looking at myself in the mirror, I stare at the image of me. I don't look like me, my naturally tan skin is pale, my warm hazel eyes are dull, puffy, and red, my lips are chapped, and some red marks are threatening to turn into bruises from where Matteo put his hands on me. My hands are trembling but I splash some water on my face and use concealer to hide the ugly red marks on my neck, as well as the ugly redness from crying in my face. I brush my teeth and use some mouthwash then mentally prepare for another encounter. No one can see me cry anymore, tears have never made anything better and they can't know how vulnerable I am or life would be even more hellish. I leave the bathroom and shove my trembling hands in my pockets, doing everything I can to not convey how weak I truly am.

ENZO

She comes back from the bathroom and looks a thousand times better than before, when I found her in here like that I wasn't sure what was going on. She just seemed unwell.

For good measure, I ask if she's okay.

"Hey, are you feeling okay?"

She looks at me like I have two heads and simply nods at me, without ever holding my eye contact.