6 | Four Eyes

Trigger Warning: this chapter contains visual/tactile hallucinations that may cause distress for some people. Do not read if that is a sensitive area.

Eddy swore he ran about ten red lights as he drove down the street, wiping tears with the back of his hand.

Five years of endless mental torture. Five years of not knowing if Brett ever really forgave him. Five years of self torment were finally coming down as he gripped the steering wheel tighter in the palms of his hands.

He made it to the small house in no less than ten minutes and the second he turned the engine off, he right about ran to the front door, ringing the doorbell countless times and hitting his knuckles on the wood.

The frail woman opened the door. "How can I h— Eddy?" She exclaims and he throws his arms around her before she is able to mutter another word, letting his tears escape freely.

"I loved him, I loved him, I loved him... I loved him Mrs.Yang... I loved him so much.." Eddy repeats over and over again. "He was my boyfriend. He was everything to me. I loved him... I'm so sorry... you trusted me and I failed you.. I killed him, I killed him, it wasn't my intention, he told me he wanted— so I took him— I didn't know he was going to drown himse— I'm sorry. I'm sorry."

She hugs him back tenderly, closing her eyes while she cradles the sobbing man against her chest. "It's okay Eddy.. Brett was really sick. We couldn't help him." She whispers, running a hand through his hair. "I tried too, but, he was just really unwell."

"I could've tried harder..." Eddy says.

"You couldn't have. Trust me when I say it was out of our control."

Anxious.

That's the only way she could describe what she was feeling as she bit her nails nervously, her eyes moving towards her seven year old son who was playing with a few blocks in front of her. He was happily talking to himself while moving said blocks, knocking them over with his fist.

It was pristine; the medic center that is, with its faint aroma of hand sanitizer and of weird metals. The waiting area was no different, it was more anxiety inducing if she were to be honest, the floor sparkling clean and the cushioned seats were soft.

Ms.Yang closed her eyes, resting her head on the back of her chair. She came to see the results of what had begun to be a problem for Brett; he claimed to be seeing things.

"They won't let me alone! Mum, please help me! I'm so terrified!"

His sobbing voice shattered her soul. But there was nothing she could do to protect him from these demons Brett had begun to see, for his room was solitaire. There was nothing in the corners, or in the ceiling, there was no one watching from the window and there was no one watching his every move. She had begun to understand that what was happening didn't have to do with what was around him. It had to do with his mind. That would be the only explanation to his strange behavior. Some days he wouldn't be able to talk, other times he couldn't express himself.

She hated that she couldn't do anything to help him feel safer except embrace him and whisper sweet fairytales into his ears. She told him about faraway lands and how Sleeping Beauty slept for one hundred years. She would repeat Brett favorite: Alice In Wonderland, just to see him smile and drift off into a peaceful slumber.

As the days continued though, he began to get worse. He could no longer go to school, he felt like the kids would turn their backs to him and hurt him if they could. Ms.Yang knew they wouldn't but to make him feel better— she let him stay at home until he got the courage to go once more.