8 | All Is Well When You Treat It Well

The next three chapters are intense on a psychological level.
Reader's discretion is advised.

-

Brett Yang is a very... careless person.

He did things half heartedly, and threw around the phrase "I don't care" so often when it came to his health.

Eddy didn't think too much of it.

He always considered Brett to be a very absentminded person. Sometimes he'd be speaking to him only to realize the other wasn't listening at all, and not in a rude way that a person may think so, no it wasn't like that at all. Brett was there, but his mind would be elsewhere.

Other times Brett wouldn't be able to speak, he'd get tongue tied , not being able to even formulate a single thought, which started causing a problem the more he grew up, especially through his high school years.

Brett doesn't think before speaking either. The words leave his mouth before he could even understand what was going on, and this ended up with trips to the office for his behavior, not that he cared much about that either. His mother would scold him for a minute and then kiss him on the cheek, ask him what he wanted to eat and they'd be gone before Eddy could even say goodbye to him. Eddy would watch with a smile as the car drove away, he'd watch them turn the corner and disappear, then he'd sigh and think of how his father would beat him if he had ever even gotten a complaint from a teacher. Well of course, if he had gotten sent to the office three years ago, his pitiful father wouldn't care. Maybe he'd act the same as Brett's mum now.

Everything is a game in Brett's eyes.
Including his life.

They were walking to Brett's home after a very long and tiring day of school. They had a rehearsal for their upcoming Spring performance in orchestra and the conductor wasn't in a happy mood that day either, resulting in loads of shouting and countless corrections to make the whole orchestra "perfect". Of course it will never be perfect, especially with the way the violas were now seemingly playing out of tune (or maybe they really are just that stupid) and the way the cellos turned to talk to one another every chance they could, and that only ended up pissing the conductor even more that he just walked off stage and slammed the room to his office loudly. The freshmen were the most spooked by this, the rest had gotten used to the acts of frustration.

Brett, of course, seemed to be the only happy person in the room at that moment, like usual. He looked around the quiet atmosphere, and Eddy turned to look at him. He could see the playful glint in his eyes and the way his shoulders started to rise and fall simultaneously, he knew he was chuckling internally.

Now as they walked down the sidewalk, Brett skipped, hopped and laughed. He wasn't laughing at anything in particular and Eddy followed him closely behind.

They eventually came to a stop light, they were really only about three blocks away from Brett's home at that point, and this would be the last busy street they'd have to cross before getting there.

Brett is really only about a foot away from Eddy, and Eddy is mindlessly kicking rocks around his feet.

But Brett doesn't stop at the light.

He walks into the street.

Eddy is quick to grab his wrist and pull him back onto the curb, pulling him towards his chest, right as an angry driver rolls past them with a loud honk and a yell. Brett is laughing from where he's resting against Eddy's chest, throwing his head back to his shoulder.

"It's not fucking funny Brett!" He yells, turning Brett harshly around to face him. His heart is accelerated and he's having to focus on his breathing for it to calm down. "You need to wait until the little man shows up on the light! You could've gotten killed Brett!"