5 | Brett's Letter.

Dear Edward Chen,

I hate calling you Edward.
Edward doesn't even begin to describe you. Honestly, I believe nothing really can describe you if I'm really going to be spitting truths out onto this paper; you're simply too wonderful for plain words and too sweet for careless paragraphs.
Eddy doesn't describe you either but it fits you better, slightly better. You know what fits you?
Nothing.
Nothing can compare enough to the beauty you possess, or the energy to let out into the world each time I listen to you play.

There are greater hits in life compared to coming into Earth in a human body, that's what I came to learn. Like learning an instrument. Or feeling the sand fall from the palms of my hands.

However, what hit me most in my life time was a simple gesture I gave to you not too many years ago, but long enough to make me feel a bit sorrowful. I still remember the way my heart felt like it was going to beat right out my chest when my hand came to clasp yours in a hurry, I wonder how I even managed to look at you everyday and not run up to you just to say hi or good morning. But I also came to learn that what I called "that simple gesture" transformed into something that held a lot more meaning than any other classical piece did.

They say that you will only experience so many life changing events when you're alive, and most of them won't even have a great impact on you, but I can confidently say that meeting you was definitely life changing.

If it hadn't been, then I would have already left a king time ago, there wouldn't have been a reason for me to stay longer than I had to when my desperate wish was to return to my home in the sea.

There came a time when I looked for you everywhere I went. There came a time when I put you high on this golf pedestal that no one else seemed to be able to reach. Amongst a crowd, it was you who I'd be searching. Which is the reason why I will finally come clean from everything I've been holding back from you, not because I need some sort of letting go for myself or because I seem to be choking on it more recently, not nothing like that. I'm telling you because you simply deserve to know the truth.

Children are allowed to do whatever they want, they're allowed to dress however they wish and be their own personality without a single care of what the world around them thinks. They do the dumbest things because there's no one around bossing them around, they don't care about how sweaty they are or how much mud had accumulated on their sneakers because the only thing on their minds is having fun.

It is only during the transition from childhood into adolescence where things start to become trickier. Girls start to weigh themselves and quit eating whatever their heart pleased in order to shape themselves into what society wants them to be. Boys start becoming a bit disrespectful in hopes of getting a girlfriend at fourteen because that suddenly became the norm.

Children stop acting like children by the age of thirteen because they have other responsibilities suddenly. They are given the pressure to succeed in life even when they're so young and could still focus on enjoying their childhood rather than needing to grow up so fast, but in a society like this, we're needed to mature very quickly, quicker than what is considered healthy, then they wonder why so many children feel like killing themselves when they haven't even gone half their lifespan.

Not to mention how homosexuality has become so much of a taboo subject that no one seems to acknowledge that people are suffering.

I wasn't about to follow what society wants me to follow though. I want to live how I want rather than follow some silly rules, it's not like society is paying my taxes or the clothes I wear, it's my decision, and I will not let anyone take that away from me, I will never follow what anyone wants me to because this is my life, not theirs, I'm never going to allow people to have such control over me, because I'm the one who's going to end up dead on the side of the road and then no one will give a shit.