3 | Apple Slices Taste Better When You Cry

Start from the beginning

No.

It was too much.

Too personal.

"You're unbelievable Eddy..."

He took ahold of the frame, gently holding it in both hands before slowly walking to his bedroom, skipping the closed door at the end of the hallway. Eddy set Brett's photo on his bookshelf, right next to a trophy he and Brett had made back in Middle School. It was supposedly meant to represent eighth grade promotion and succeeding in going through the "worst years of your life". Eddy wasn't so sure of what it actually did mean, he knew Brett would give him a whole essay response if he asked.

The doorbell rang loudly with its slightly unsettling tone which was enough to send Eddy in a full spring to the door. He already knew he shouldn't be so nervous, he was only meeting up with someone he had come to meet in a entirely different place. It's no big deal. Except it was a big deal. Oliver reminded him so much of Brett.

Eddy opened the door, not even bothering to settle on a smile before letting Oliver into his home. He might've forgotten to greet him first, he doesn't know. He's too focused on calming his accelerating heartbeat and his out of control nerves.

Oliver bent down to untie his shoelaces, speaking to Eddy with a cheerful tone about something he wasn't really paying attention to. It was at this moment where Eddy realized that this was a bad idea.

"You seem like you're on the verge of both throwing up and passing out. Which one is going to happen first so I can prepare myself—" Oliver joked, smiling at Eddy who so badly tried to smile back.

"I don't think neither will be happening tonight, or at least I hope not. I would hate to pass out, that's so embarrassing." Eddy mumbled the last bit as a rose color settled over his cheeks.

Oliver hung his head back and laughed, shaking his head ever so slightly. "Oh Edward, I missed you." He says before extending his arms out, wrapping them around Eddy tightly.

Eddy felt the slight circles being traced onto his back, he was unsure of where to put his hands so he decided to hug the other back. It seemed like the reasonable thing to do.

"So this is my home." Eddy says awkwardly, pulling back from the hug to motion towards the living room.

He watched silently as Oliver pulled his shoes off, neatly putting them next to the door where he saw some pairs of Eddy's own shoes before looking in the others direction. Oliver smiled.

"Awh, your apartment has the exact same aesthetic I was thinking of." Oliver comments, following Eddy to the couch where he plops down, letting out a small sigh.

Eddy snorted. "What aesthetic? Kawaii pastels?" He jokes, handing Oliver the television remote.

"Nah." Oliver says, taking the remote. "Sad old man."

Eddy wasn't sure if to take that as an insult or as a compliment until he saw the way Oliver smiled at him. He knew it was the best compliment he could conjure up in the moment. "Make yourself comfortable, pick a movie or something we can watch. I'm going to get some snacks. Do you want some takeout? To be honest, I haven't touched a stove in such a long time so if I even try to cook right now, the whole place is going to end up in flames."

Oliver chuckles, shaking his head at Eddy. "Don't worry about it, you don't have to be so stiff around me. I'm just another normal guy. Takeout would be lovely, I'll pay if you don't mind."

"Hey wait, you're my guest. I'll be paying." Eddy responds with a wave of his hand, but it doesn't have the wanted effects as Olive argues the contrary back to him.