"...I'll never leave you." Brett punctuates his words throughly, taking the knife out and pressing Eddy's new wound with his thumb. He leaned his head down to Eddy's arm then, licking and sucking the blood away until none dripped out. It was a small cut, so it didn't hurt or bleed much, which Eddy was grateful for.

A new mark. One that would stay.

A vow.

Brett kisses Eddy again, this time with the faint taste of blood. Completing the promise like a period in a sentence, like the wax seal on a letter, like strawberries on a cake.

This was it.

"You know I'll always love you." Brett whispers against Eddy's neck.

Eddy knew this was like any other time when Brett claims that it's the moment and the night will end with a sobbing Brett with a wish of going home. A home he never even had in the first place. He knew this was another one of his games, but for some strange reason, this time it felt more real.

No.

Brett isn't a fish.

He's a human. Humans belong on land. On Earth.

Brett took off both his shoes, tossing them into the sand, along with his hoodie. They hit the sand lightly, Eddy watched him with increasing nervousness.

"Brett. No. Stop." Eddy says, grabbing onto his arm. He was getting wet by the waves, his pants were getting soaked, not to mention how his shoes were already pooling with water. He shivers.

"Eddy. It's going to be okay." Brett reassures, continuing to hold eye contact with Eddy.

"I love you Brett. I love you so much. You can't just do this to me." He declares and without even noticing, his tears are being brushed away by the warm, soft pads of Brett's thumbs. His hands were always warm no matter what.

"I love you too Eddy. But I need to go home."

Eddy shakes his head, his whole body was being an earthquake with his increasing anxiety and cold.

"Let me go with you!" He screams, clawing onto Brett's clothes.

"This is just another night of Brett's game." He needed to remind himself, but with the panic overflowing him, he couldn't even think a straight thought. All he could muster were sobs. "Men don't cry. Men don't cry."

"Okay then."

Then Eddy's scrambling to take off his shoes and his hoodie. He holds Brett's warm hand as they step completely into the ice cold water, the wind is pulling at his hair, but Brett's warm hand pushes him further and further until they're right by the rock. Their rock. The same one Eddy and Brett always played on all throughout their lives.

"Ready?" Brett says as they climb onto the rock, both staring at the dark water. It wasn't see through like it was in the day.

It was dark abyss, scaring Eddy even more. Brett hung his head back and laughed, kissing Eddy one last time. "Goodbye Eddy. I'll never leave you." He says.

"I love you too Brett Yang." He says weakly.

And they jump into the water.

Brett lets go of Eddy's hand, as they fall into the deep ocean. Eddy tried to stay underwater with Brett, but soon his throat constricts and the cold water is burning at his scalp. His bones are freezing and his clothes are clinging to his skin. The only sound he is able to hear is the ocean around him, the water wishing to drown him. It's scalding, it's cold.

He's counting in his head, but he only gets to seven before he's reaching atop of the water, pushing his weight up and gasping atop of the sea, coughing a bit.

He's coughing and sputtering, continuing his counting aloud. "8, 9, 10.."

He climbs onto the rock, bringing his knees closer to his chest as he tries to breath in through his mouth. The air around him is going to be the death of him, he's shivering, shaking. But continues to count.

Brett can hold his breath for a minute, sometimes longer.

"60." He whispers, his teeth chattering.

"1... 2... 3..." he continues on to the next minute.

"2 minutes." He says.

Maybe Brett had become a fish after all, perhaps he was wrong, maybe his dear love really was a fish the whole time.

The salt water started to sting at the wound on his arm, and he lost track of how many seconds, how many minutes had passed.

He sees Brett's head peak from under the water, moving smoothly across the surface and soon his whole body is on top of the water.

Eddy reaches over, grabbing onto Brett's hand to bring him closer to the rock.

Brett's skin is pale and purple, his lips are blue but they are also curved into a smile. A grin. His body is only skin and bones.

His stomach drops, cold long forgotten as he tries to grip his hand tighter, but it is stiff.

A seagull above shrieks.

The wind is howling in Eddy's ears and the waves are crashing against the rock, wishing to take Eddy and suffocate him.

He pulled Brett's body closer until he's hugging the limp body in his arms. "You really were a fish Brett... I'm sorry..."

The vow stings on his arm.

He holds Brett's hand against his chest.

It's no longer warm.