"I need to get to the ocean." He said quickly, pulling away from Eddy's grasp and hurrying to the entrance of the apartment.

Eddy hurried after him, pulling him back slightly and caging him between his arms. "Okay okay, just let me get my shoes on. I'm not letting you leave without me."

They had played this "game" multiple times through their relationship. Brett would feel like it was the right time to go to the ocean with the false hope he would become a fish. He'd lay in the cold water and he'd come back up, and Eddy would wait for him on the rock. He'd come back in tears sometimes or with a weird hope that next time would be the moment for sure, then he'd apologize to Eddy for bringing him to the ocean and wasting his time. He knew tonight wasn't going to be any different than other numerous amounts of times they had done this.

He shoved his feet into his black vans and rushed to grab his car keys, hoping Brett wasn't getting too exasperated with him.

Driving to the beach only took five minutes going by car, but Eddy took advantage of the fact there were hardly any cars out at the ungodly hours of the night and they arrived at the beach in three minutes.

Brett was ready to leap out his seat the moment Eddy parked the car, but a hand on his arm stopped him, and Eddy smiled at him. "Don't rush it Brett." He said.

Brett sighed and waited for Eddy to stop the engine and help him out of the car with a helpful hand.

They walked to the ocean in silence. Eddy held Brett's warm hand the whole way. He watched the waves crash violently against the rocks, and it was unbearably windy. He pulled his jacket around himself more, looking over at Brett who didn't seem at all bothered by the weather, like always.

"Eddy." Brett says, stopping once they reached the shore of the sea, their shoes becoming a bit soaked by the water crashing against them. "I love you."

Eddy was taken aback by this, even more when Brett leaned up to kiss him softly on his lips. His stomach dropped and his blood went cold, he held onto Brett's hand tightly. He couldn't be serious!

"Brett." He said firmly, planting Brett on te ground with two hands on his shoulders. "You can't do this. This game needs to stop."

Brett scoffed, pulling away from Eddy's grasp. "Game!?" He said in disbelief. "Eddy! I'm a fish! Tonight is the night! They're calling me! The ocean is calling me! I thought you understood that."

"Oh so what if it is true!" He exclaims, grabbing into Brett's wrist again. "You're just going to leave me here by myself again!?"

Brett smiled, shaking his head. His other hand traveled up Eddy's arm, stroking the spot where he clawed his nails into Eddy's skin. The mark was small, you could barely even tell it was there anymore. It was Brett's promise after all, and he was a bit scared that maybe the mark would disappear. Along with his promise.

He reached into his back pocket, taking out what seemed to be a small blade. It was tiny, more like an exacto knife.

"I promise that I'll never leave you. I'll be going back home today, to my home in the ocean, and I just want to make sure you never forget this promise." He says slowly, looking at Eddy right in the eyes. "The sun can rise and fall, but no matter what happens..."

He stabbed the blade into Eddy's arm, right where the old mark had been. Eddy hissed, wanting to pull his arm away from Brett's hold. The blood trickled down his arm and onto the sand below, painting it a dark red, looking almost black by the darkness around them both. There wasn't another soul on the beach, why would there be a person coming down at two in the morning anyway, which he was glad for.