..Chapter 6 - Quarrels and Questions..

"This is your fault." It was just barely a whisper, but the accusation made Logan's hands ball into fists. Of course, it was his fault, because he was the only person who did anything in this family, but he wasn't willing to admit that.

"And by what means, is this my fault?"

"You are the one who told us not to visit!" Roman threw his hands up, his voice growing louder. "You told me it would be safer, then he ran, and when we finally find the prodigal son, you take away what is most important to him. You... You...Duncehead! You are nothing more than a selfish miser who has stolen everyone's Christmas! You wish to only steal from those who have happiness and take it for yourself! That is what this whole family does."

Logan rubbed his eyes. When Roman got like this it was hard to understand what he meant, but this time the message was loud and clear. He had to stop his breath from catching, stop his anger from bubbling to the surface. "Everything I have done has been for this family. I am doing what I can with what I have."

"Well, your best isn't enough." Logan was not one for poetics, but he understood the phrase 'his heart shattered'. He understood it on a very primal level, and for the third time in his life, he felt it again.

Roman turned around, beginning to walk away. "I'm going to find my brother."

It was no use fighting him, Roman was too stubborn for that. Logan knew one day it would fall apart, and he thought he was prepared for that. He had given up everything to pour all of his time into his brother, and his family, and the jobs that kept them alive. It wasn't enough. It would never be enough.

He slid into the car, knuckles turning white as he gripped the steering wheel. He had given up college to take over when their parents died. He had given up Virgil for Remus's sake. He had given up everything that brought him joy other than his brothers.

He would not give them up.

Roman still had his cellphone on him; Logan could use that to track him. He just needed to send out a team to find Remus. The forest was too large to search on his own.

His grip on the steering wheel loosened. He had a plan, and he would have his brothers back, both of them.

Logan allowed the anger to grow in him, allowed it to boil and churn. It hid the truth of the situation. Without his brothers, without his parents, without Virgil, he felt utterly alone.

~~~~~~~

Their car pulled closer to a small flower shop, it's dark aesthetic stood out against the other buildings. Other than the black painted walls and purple trim, it looked like a normal flower shop, the bouquets in the window were even expertly displayed, even if there was more black than Janus expected. He looked up at the sign 'Lavender Primrose'. "Interesting name," He muttered.

Remus would have loved it here.

"I can't believe you got him to agree." Patton got out of the car, pulling out an umbrella. "Just be nice about it."

"Yes, yes, I'm aware," Janus waved him off, pulling his mind back to the present.

"And we need to talk about you taking my phone like that."

"Patton!" Janus turned to him and let out a sigh, rubbing the bridge of his nose. "I'm aware that you are not happy with the way I handled this. It shouldn't be that surprising, we have never completely agreed on our methods, but I swear if you don't trust me I will push you down a flight of stairs."

Patton sighed, walking over and hugging Janus tightly. "We'll get him back." Janus could have broken at that alone. Today had been an emotional rollercoaster as he tried to control everything since the gun went off, but he couldn't control it. He couldn't control anything.

"You can't promise that," his voice was barely a whisper, fighting back the tears that were constantly attempting to escape.

"I'm promising you that anyway."

"You are two soft, Pat."

"Kindness isn't a weakness,"

"But it can be deadly."

"Will you two get in here? You are getting soaked?" A dark voice from the doorway of the flower shop called.

"Yes, let's get inside." Janus looked at him, Virgil looked exactly how he imagined. He was wearing a black long sleeve shirt and a patchwork apron. His hair hung over his eyes and Janus was trying to figure out how much of this was his real personality and how much of it was him trying to hide from himself? People made a lot of aesthetic choices when they didn't want to be seen.

Janus pulled tightly at his gloves, covering his scars.

Once the three of them were inside Virgil shut and locked the door behind them. "You are only here because I want information out of you." He jabbed his finger at Janus. "Once I get what I want, you are going to leave."

"That's not very fair now is it, I need information as well." Walls back up, mask back on.

"I already told Patton, and every other goon who has tried to come after me, that I'm not saying anything."

"I'm well aware of that, but I have no desire to share information with you without some kind of trade."

Virgil hissed and out of the corner of his eye, Janus saw Patton bite his lip, obviously wanting to reach out and help the situation. Thankfully, he didn't.

It was easy to fall back into old habits, reading the smallest bodily cue, senses tightening in on each twitch and movement. The better he could read a person the better he could twist the situation to what he needed, and he needed his husband back.

"How about this, you ask your question, I answer it, and then, depending on my answer, you can decide how much information to give me." Virgil was a nervous person, it would be best to give him the illusion of control.

Virgil bit at his lip, messing with the ties of his apron. "Fine, but if at any point I tell you to leave, you leave."

"Very well. So, what is your first question?"

"Who are you, and what favor did you get from Patton?"

He would ignore the fact that that was two questions. "I hope you have some chairs and some tea because that is a much more complicated story." 

AN: I'm sorry it's late y'all. Not only that but I missed last week too. I really dislike posting late chapters or falling outside of my routine, but hey, I managed to get it done. I hope you all like it.

If you'd like to join me and discuss writing and sanders sides, I have a discord: https://discord.gg/3bP9mYbhje

If you'd like to hear me read some of my stories, I have a Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/typicallyUntypical/

And if you'd like to commission a story, I have a tumblr: https://typically-untypical.tumblr.com