..Chapter 4 - Past Problems..

He was supposed to step out of the car. Remus knew this, even if he hadn't been part of the family in years he knew what was expected of him. They were switching cars here so that this car couldn't be tailed, especially after a murder. Then Logan would drive them to the new headquarters.

Remus didn't care.

The reality of the situation was finally beginning to sink in and there was a war in his mind. There was always a war, but this one felt like a thunderous battle, a thousand different thoughts and emotions fighting inside his head. He was filled with rage, but he was also hollow and numb. Remus closed his eyes, gripping his shirt tightly where his heart should be. He wasn't sure what had replaced his heart, a swarm of bees, a canyon so deep he would never climb out of. Whatever it was, it wasn't his heart. He had left that with Janus.

"Hey bro, come on." Roman's voice was soft and gentle as he tried to convince Remus to get out of the car, but he didn't budge. Remus didn't even bother biting at his brother's hand like he used to. He didn't move at all. One wrong move and he would either explode or cave in.

"Look Au..." Roman stopped and corrected himself, "Remus, you can't stay sitting in the car forever."

"I can sure as hell try." He muttered under his breath, gripping his shirt tighter. He could still smell dinner slightly lingering on his clothes. Would their house burn down with no one to turn off the stove? Would they think both of them had died in the fire, or would they assume Remus had set it when they didn't find a second body? He was broken from his thoughts as Roman groaned.

He had always been the dramatic one. "Look, I'm sure the brainiac had his reasons, but you belong with us. We are family."

"Then you can rot in jail with me because I'm staying here."

"Please stop acting like a melodramatic, petulant child," Logan didn't even bother looking at him as he said those words, and maybe that's what caused the chasm in Remus' heart to fill with hatred. He bolted out of the car, stalking towards the object of his hatred.

"You don't get to call me a child." His voice came out as a guttural growl. "You don't get to call me melodramatic. You killed my husband, and if you thought that you had to be wary of me before, now you won't be able to sleep at all. I will come for your skin."

"As I said, dramatic." Logan didn't even blink, just looking at Remus in an air of contempt. He had the keys to the second car in his gloved hands.

"You are nothing but a cruel soulless robot. What should I expect from someone who killed his own fiancè?"

"We do what we must for the family, and there was a time that you knew that."

"There was a time that you knew that," Remus repeated mockingly. "There was a time when family meant something to you. When you didn't leave them hung out to dry on their own!"

"Are you still hung up on that?" His voice remained calm and quiet, his hand ushering towards the car. "I doubt you are aware of what actually happened."

"I don't need to know! You left me." He turned to look at Roman, "You both left me, out to dry, hung by my toes, sucked on by leeches. If I hadn't been able to wiggle my way out of that situation like an eel then I would have ended up in jail!"

"It was a calculated risk, and if we had gone and visited you we all would have gone to jail." Logan gestured to the three of them.

"Calculated risk? Calculated risk?! I am not a calculation, I am your brother!"

"Which is why you belong here!" Logan tried to control his emotions, but his anger was showing. "This wouldn't have happened if you hadn't run off after your stay in the hospital. We were going to come to get you but instead, you avoided us."

"Like the plague," Roman muttered from near the new car, not wanting to get too involved in the argument.

"Whatever," Remus had been surveying where they were at, looking at all the exits. He remembered his training, even if it had been years. He wasn't going to go down easy, not without taking Logan with him. "You should have killed me when you had the chance."

He launched himself head first at Logan, knocking the wind out of him before running. He wasn't sure where he was running to, or what he was going to do. There were only two things on his mind, grief, and revenge. He could hear Roman's surprise but he ignored it and kept running.

He ran as hard as his legs would allow him. He needed distance and time; he wasn't a planner, but maybe he had learned something from Janus. Maybe, he could channel his husband and come up with a plan.

"Remus get back here!" He heard the yell in the distance but kept running. He would not be stopped.

He didn't stop running until his legs started giving out on him. He was in the middle of the woods now. He knew how to navigate a forest, but what was he going to do when he got out? Had Janus' body been found? Were they blaming him? The missing husband? What would Pat say?

Remus' blood ran cold, he had only met Patton a few times, but there had always been something about that man that scared him. He was too nice, too caring, and understanding. The only people who were like that were either manipulative or had been through some stuff. On the one hand, if Patton did believe him, he could actually have an ally. If he didn't, Remus could be throwing himself to the wolves.

He swallowed, trying to pull himself to some kind of shelter so he wouldn't freeze during the night or get eaten by wild animals. Patton was his best option because he wasn't dumb enough to go against Logan and Roman alone.

Maybe he felt a little guilty turning Roman in, but not Logan. Logan deserved this. Death had been coming for him since he chose business over love.

Remus had really liked Virgil. Remus had really liked Janus. Curling up in the hollow of a tree he ran his fingers over his wedding ring. Till death do us part wasn't long enough.