Chapter 15: Alliance

Very few things made Hermione tremble with fear, with Draco being one of them, and the other one being the thought of Ron finding out about whatever it was going on between them. She knew she would have to tell him that it would not be fair to him if she wasn't honest.

They needed honesty if their friendship could survive, especially now that Harry was gone. She bit her lip as she walked down the stairs, her heart beating unevenly in her chest, the way it always did when she thought of her best friend.

She really needed his advice right now, even though she probably wouldn't have listened to a word he said.

He'd think me a loon, Hermione mused to herself, entering the living room and finding Pansy, Theo, and Kelly all sitting on the ugly, green loveseat. Theo was holding Pansy's hand, his thumb brushing over her knuckles, and he gave Hermione a lopsided smile.

"Bet you didn't think this is how you'd spend your April 20th, did you?" he asked, his hand still moving in circular movements over Pansy's.

Hermione sat on the floor in front of them, crossing her legs underneath her as she looked up to their faces. "Is that the date?" she questioned, feeling a blush creeping up her neck. It has been nearly a year since...

"Well, yes, did you think he mentioned it for kicks?" Pansy laughed, her eyes bright as she looked at Theo, who was grinning back at her.

Hermione envied them at how easy it was for them to be together, how natural. They looked so...comfortable.

At ease.

What was that even like?

"So, what's the plan for tomorrow?" Kelly asked, rubbing the back of his head slowly. Hermione leaned forward slightly, trying to get a good look at his face, but he avoided her eyes. "Slight headache. Haven't Apparated in a bit."

"We'll need to talk to Narcissa. She knows the Manor best, aside from D-Draco," Hermione replied, stuttering over his name slightly and she coughed to hide her embarrassment. "I'm not sure how deep this goes."

"Honestly? It's dying," Pansy confessed, turning to face Hermione. "My mum's beautiful as ever, but it's been taking longer and longer to get it. She's starting to..." Pansy paused, her lip in between her teeth she searched for the correct adjective. "Age." The four of them stood silently and Hermione was unsure of where she should look. She didn't want to bring embarrassment to Pansy's family dynamic.

"Oh, come off it," Pansy huffed. "My parents disowned me anyway, so fuck 'em. Fuck the whole operation." Hermione offered her a smile, to which Pansy returned before quickly averting her eyes.

Being friends with Pansy had never crossed Hermione's mind, but these were trying times.

Things happened.

They were only human, after all.

"Where's Draco?" Narcissa asked, crossing the living room floor in front of them. Kelly stood and took a seat beside Hermione, his shoulder brushing her sweater as he made room for Narcissa to sit on the couch.

"Probably trying to find his hidden stash of firewhisky," Theo joked, and Narcissa shot him a glare.

"I think it's important we figure out the layout of how they have the dungeons set up," Narcissa explained, and Hermione leaned forward to listen. "Draco, Theo, and myself will go to the Manor, take a few others, and destroy whatever the spell is written on."

"You can't be serious," Hermione breathed. "That's terribly dangerous. What if they're spotted? They know Theo and Draco betrayed them. Surely they'll be on the lookout."

"Correct, but they don't know about me," Narcissa pointed out, folding her hands in her lap. "My husband may be ruthless, but his adoration for me...well, it blinds him. We need to use that blindness while it still exists."

Hermione turned her head as Draco entered the living room, his black jacket having been discarded and now stood in a pressed shirt and murky black pants, his hands placed in his pockets.

He looked distracted, out of place. Like he didn't belong in his own home.

Hermione supposed, after all the time that he'd been gone, it probably didn't look like home to him, a shelter for displaced wizards and witches he had not signed up to care about, yet here he was.

"We should go at night," Draco suggested, glancing between Theo and Narcissa. "Father drinks at night. Sometimes, he talks about you when the days have been especially long and the drink's especially stiff. He'll be vulnerable then."

"But, you've only just got here," Hermione spoke up, her voice higher than she wanted it to be. She cursed herself as she was met with all eyes of the group and Theo looked like he was suppressing a smirk. "I just mean, shouldn't you rest? Recuperate?"

"She may be right," Narcissa added, and Hermione was grateful for the interjection. "I know the traveling had to be at least a bit taxing and we'll need to be ready in case anything goes sideways."

Hermione chose to ignore that last statement.

They could survive this. They were all together at last. How could they not?